CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Rosie Deavila

Profile:
Beginner

Hi there my name is Rosie and I am going to be starting Crossfit soon. I am a bit nervous because I am out of shape. But if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Mark Maslakowski

Profile:
Re: Beginner

Welcome Rosie!

Glad to have you aboard. My advice to you would be get to an affiliate and learn the movements well. Form is the most important thing (other than attitude) when doing Crossfit.

Form -> Consistency -> Intensity -> Fitness

Stick with it and you'll be in the best shape of your life.

Maz
Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Rosie Deavila

Profile:

I can't wait to start
Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Awesome! Even more women!
Start slowly- via the BrandX scaled workouts. http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ (WFS) Each day, there is a listing for the workout. GuardDawg will post a scaling. Start with Buttercups for awhile. This stuff is hard core-better to start carefully and last than jump in too quickly and get injured. Good luck and welcome!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Rosie Deavila

Profile:

I actually am going to start to be trained using Crossfit. I am going to have a one on one trainer it will be awesome. I am out of shape and hoping that I see results with my body with strength and tone. My main concern is my stomach. Can you recommend anything at home before I start? Like I said I am out of shape and need to learn the whole methodology and lingo of Crossfit. Thanks for the feedback
Girl Power!!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you're looking to trim, look at what you eat first. Most will reccomend Zone or Paleo. Studies show high fat, low carb, high protein can lose twice as much weight compared to the traditional low fat, high carb, some protein. In that same research, the meditterean diet nearly scored as well as the first ( ketogenic ) diet.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Delita Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Deavila View Post
Hi there my name is Rosie and I am going to be starting Crossfit soon. I am a bit nervous because I am out of shape. But if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know. Thanks
Welcome, Rosie! I just came back to CF, uh, yesterday. ;-) Surely you couldn't be more out of shape than me!

I agree - the best advice is start slowly. And I use the scaling help from brandx.

You can do this!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Caitlin McDonald

Profile:

Hey Rosie

welcome to the boards and to crossfit! I, too, am a beginner, only two months in. You're not the only non-elite athlete. I hate to admit it, but I am very out of shape with a belly to write home about. changing the eating is very hard, but absolutely necessary for weight loss. I also recommend taking it SLOWLY. I know we want to lose the weight fast, but if you get injured or burn out, you won't lose the weight. Best of luck, and start a workout log!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
Eric Matlock

Profile:

I am also new, and the most important thing I have learned in three months of Crossfit...is to let yourself fail. After three months I still have problems with some of the movements, I am not flexable in the lower back area. Being 37, 6'2" and 216 lbs, it feels good to keep up with the younger crowd ( this really doesn't happen that much ) but when it does, that's a good day.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Henry Miller

Profile:

Safety first, start slow, read the FAQ, scale, and make what you can do work.

I often use the main workout as a guide to the type of movement I should be doing. Over time I'm buying the equipment I need, but in the order that makes sense for me. In my case I'm on the road a lot so I don't have much. What this means is even if I was strong enough I don't have the equipent needed to do the WOD as Rx. However with a little thought I can come up with something that is on the same lines even if it isn't the same.

You say you are starting soon. Make soon now: get down on the floor wherever you are and do 1 push-up. (since you are starting you cannot do more anyway?) Then when you next go outside do a burpee (look it up). If you can find a sturdy bar someplace (I used a swingset for a month - I bet there is a local park with something you can do this on) do a jumping pull-up. I just told you to do 1 rep of each, so you can do it, and it won't be harmful. However it will start to build strength. Tomorrow do two of each. Then do some jump rope. When you drive to the store/work park as far away from the door as you can, and run (I suggest pose running) until you get tired, then walk the rest of the way in. (in no time you will be running all the way)

Notice I said safety first? There are a lot of workouts that can be dangerious if you don't do them right. I don't know how to lift, so I don't do the heavy lifts. Someday I will get starting strength (or get a class from an affiliate - but they are all 1 hour+ away). I do some lifts but I keep the weight down to where even if my form is wrong it won't be serious.