CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Swinging a Dumbbell?

Obviously if you can get a Kettlebell, do it.

If you can't, one alternative is to get a dumbbell to do the same workout.

However, I'm encountering some difficulties.

The shape of the DBs that I have access to at work are the Bowflex adjustable kind. Due to the odd design of the weight plates on the sides, you can't swing them by grabbing the ends and trying to swing them while holding the center does not give anything close to the feeling a KB would and the length of the DB's can seriously hurt your legs if your stance isn't wide enough. But standing too wide really messes with the proper form and puts unnecessary stress on your back and knees. So unless I'm doing this wrong, DB swings suck!

I'm questioning on whether to just say to hell with using a DB for a substitute and figure out some other way to do it while at my office gym (and I am NOT going to buy a KB for the office gym since I know that it will disappear.) Hmm...maybe stop at the Home Depot and make a KB out of a sack of sand and steel ring?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Swinging a Dumbbell?

hold the weight iwth one hand or two and keep the bar paralell with the direction of motion and you won't hit your leg. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I had never in my life done swings, I did filthy fifty about 2 weeks ago and used a 35lb plate. Used some chalk to make sure it wouldn't fly away, it works your grip some too .. I guess for more weight I'll try a 35 and a 10 next time, that'd be a grip workout by itself :P
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Hold the dumbbell with your palm facing inward towards the opposite side, not pointed towards you. You are right its not a KB, but they can be used effectively.