CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Brian Negrotto

Profile:
Vacation

Would like some input on this, I am about to go on vacation to Disney World. Come to find out, the resort we are staying at has no gym, just a 1.5 mile track. My first reaction was that I can just use some bodyweight WOD while I'm there. That link that Shane put togethor has no shortage of them. After thinking about it, I was wondering if it might actually do me some good to take a week off, maybe with just some light cardio. Any comments, advice, is appreciated. Thanks.....
Old 11-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Vacation

I believe taking a break could. The 3 on, 1 off philosophy does not just apply to your daily workout schedule, but also weekly. Does taking an off week mean do nothing? No, just like a day off can have some light work aimed at improving flexibility, maybe a light job/swim, and what would normally just be a warm up (a couple low rep sets of pull ups, dips, squats, etc...) and a light week can be a couple light runs, some push ups and sit ups here or there, whatever you have to work with. Nothing wrong with recovery time every now and then.

That said, have fun at Disney!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Dude... if you haven't done so in the past 2-3 months... take the whole week off. It'll do your body wonders for recovery. If you really must do something, pick a day to do tabata squats/pushups/situps or something like that. That will wreck you pretty good... then 2 days later do a light job to work out the soreness.

Enjoy your vacation. Recovery is good.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Brian Negrotto

Profile:

I think you're right, been training pretty intense for the last about 5 months. I think that the 7 days rest may be welcome. Wrong thread, I know, but do you even bother trying to eat Paleo in Disney? LOL. Not sure that can be done...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
I think you're right, been training pretty intense for the last about 5 months. I think that the 7 days rest may be welcome. Wrong thread, I know, but do you even bother trying to eat Paleo in Disney? LOL. Not sure that can be done...
Try to eat paleo, but don't forgo food if you simply can't find anything to eat Paleo. Just don't go nuts Unless you're at a restaurant, vegetables will be scarce hehe
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Dude, you're going on vacation. Don't be one of those annoying people who are always obsessing about what they eat. Just eat lots of meat and enjoy yourself for the week.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:

Quote:
Would like some input on this, I am about to go on vacation to Disney World. Come to find out, the resort we are staying at has no gym, just a 1.5 mile track. My first reaction was that I can just use some bodyweight WOD while I'm there. That link that Shane put togethor has no shortage of them. After thinking about it, I was wondering if it might actually do me some good to take a week off, maybe with just some light cardio. Any comments, advice, is appreciated. Thanks.....
Brian, I am in the same boat. Going to Mexico for a week for destination wedding. Going to make it an active rest week. Swimming, hiking and maybe some yoga...nothing too structured. You might want to ramp it up a week or two (if you have that much time) just before going on vacation. Enjoy the vacation!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Dude, you're going on vacation. Don't be one of those annoying people who are always obsessing about what they eat. Just eat lots of meat and enjoy yourself for the week.
Totally agree. Unless you are a bodybuilder coming into a competition or an eilte athlete coming into competition season, one week is not going to matter. Obviously don't go insane and eat 5000 calories of sugar a day if you have been keeping it clean for 5 months, but live a little. Eat as much meat as you can.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Brian Negrotto

Profile:

Agreed. Vacation needs to be spent enjoyed, not freaking out over having to eat potatoes. I took on the 100 burpee challenge a while back for the hell of it. I think that I am going to stick to that, plus some occasional light cardio/calistenics and stretching. I think you hit the nail on the head with the eating, as long as I don't start snorting sugar, who cares, right? This is my last vacation before going back to Iraq so I need to enjoy it. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Take a week off. Will do you wonders. Maybe flexibility/stretching in morning and before bed but that would be it. Enjoy yourself!!!