CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Seth McCall

Profile:
Hanging A Rope from Garage Rafters

I have a 9ft ceiling I'm my garage but I use a small "attic" access to mount my wall ball target. I've considered using this same access to hang a rope from the rafters as well (about 14ft).

Is this a good idea to mount a cross member there. I do not have a truss system so I'm thinking it is OK to drill. The 1st picture is my actual garage. The 2nd is an example I found online with no details. Let me know what you think.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20%2813%29.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e/example.jpeg

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Hanging A Rope from Garage Rafters

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-6tHp...%3DkZ-6tHpR4GQ (wfs)

Skip to 7:15 for his explanation of how he did exactly what you're planning.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Mike Gin

Profile:

Should be fine - I've actually screwed a 2x4 to the underside of two of the 2x6's and then looped the rope over that. Hasn't been a problem. This is the best direction to screw the bolts because there is less shear force on them. But if you use big enough bolts (or a bunch of deck screws), it should be fine.

If you use those joist hangers like in the photo, you might want to put an additional bolt that passes through the side for additional strength. I don't know what those are rated at and they are more designed for a static load vs. more of a dynamic load which you will be putting on them while climbing.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Seth McCall

Profile:

Going by the advice y'all have it looks like it is better to drill in some boards across the joists/rafters. Is this something something an inspector would ding me for should I need to sell the house? I know truss system drilling is a NO NO but didn't know about rafters.

On that same note, the crossing board in my picture, was that added simply when they were framing the garage or is it weight bearing. I'm thinking to mount boards across, I would need to move it.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Mike Gin

Profile:

Wood is very strong - two small holes from lag bolts in them isn't going to make a difference to an inspector or to the structural integrity. Odds are they wouldn't see it anyhow. But that aside, I like doing things to code and that will not create a problem. What you want to avoid is cutting a section out of the rafter or drilling a significantly large hole (much bigger than the small holes created by lag bolts).

Bolting across several rafters helps to distribute the weight over more rafters which is a good thing.

DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING! I can't tell what the crossing board is for, but contractors don't put in anything extra if they don't have to. If you can provide some better photos it might be easier to help you figure out a good solution. Check out this thread this might be an option for you:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62235 (wfs)

Technically that hole in ceiling not being covered is a code violation as you're supposed to have a certain amount of fire rating between your garage and house/attic. Fires often start in garages and that hole will allow heat and fire to spread to the attic and then throughout the house unless the fire wall extends into the attic.

So two little holes per rafter are the least of your worries...
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Timothy Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gin View Post
I can't tell what the crossing board is for, but contractors don't put in anything extra if they don't have to.

That (what looks like a) 2x4 running perpendicular to the ridge is called a collar tie/collar beam, and is actually there for dynamic loads. It's designed to prevent the rafters from lifting up under wind loads.

That said, depending on how it's attached, if you throw a bolt through there and hang a rope over it, you should be fine. Otherwise, bolt another board just under that and you should not have any major issues.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Seth McCall

Profile:

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of placing my board above the crosstie currently on the rafters. I do have a hatch cut to be put in place when not in use.

One more question, the opening is about 2.5ft x 2.5 ft. Would that be sufficient to hang a rope through?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth McCall View Post
One more question, the opening is about 2.5ft x 2.5 ft. Would that be sufficient to hang a rope through?
That's enough for the rope, but I don't think that will be enough for your body as you climb up through the opening.

So imagine you're about in this position right when you have to get through the opening:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Games2012_RichFroning_RopeClimb.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	12693

Is 2.5' enough clearance? Probably not. In the video I posted the guy said his space was 5' x 5'.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

so the opening is 25.x2.5 but you dont plan on climbing through that? i certainly hope not. if its 14' front floor to joists, that gives you about 9' of L sit climbing before your quads hit the crawl space.

1. install a 1" pipe with 2 floor flanges
2. hang a 1.5" rope from it
3. sit on the ground and pull yourself up until your legs hit the ceiling
4. lower yourself and repeat
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Dakota Base

Profile:

Hanging it between two rafters is unwise. I would encourage you to at least anchor it across multiple rafters to more evenly spread the load. I would also encourage you to reinforce the rafters to discourage sagging over time.

Best option, in my opinion, would be to build an A-frame that braces the rope support UPWARD from the ceiling struts, rather than hanging on the roof itself. Again, bracing the legs of the A-frame across multiple joists and reinforce the effected joists to ensure you properly distribute the load.