CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Rosie Deavila

Profile:
Motivation is the key..

So tomorrow I start to learn the Crossfit method with my trainer. Am I nervous of course I haven't worked out in a while. But I think doing this will give me the motivation to want to work out. Right now I do belong to a gym and I have no motivation at all. I am hoping that doing Crossfit with a small group will increase my motivation to excersize. I know I am going to be sore the first few days. But reading the stories that people have written about their own experiences made me realize this may not be so bad after all. Especially knowing that the excersizes are scaled to your level. I just wanted to say I am learning a lot about peoples different experiences with Crossfit and I look forward to writing my own.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: Motivation is the key..

Rosie,

In case you don't already know this, Cross Fit Ventura just opened on Saturday! That's pretty close to you. You might want to check it out.

Have fun with your first workout!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Rosie Deavila

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Rosie,

In case you don't already know this, Cross Fit Ventura just opened on Saturday! That's pretty close to you. You might want to check it out.

Have fun with your first workout!
Ventura is very pretty far from my house. The only 2 I see that are close are the one in Westlake and Van Nuys.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Brett Dartt

Profile:

stick around the boards as well...
i hang out here most everyday at some point so that it keeps me in the mindset of crossfit. it works pretty well for me
Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

Check out the Valley CrossFit local

I've been there and I recommend them. They have beginner and woman's classes in addition to the regular workout.

Easily worth a short drive on Sat or Sun to kick your motivation up.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Deavila View Post
So tomorrow I start to learn the Crossfit method with my trainer. Am I nervous of course I haven't worked out in a while. But I think doing this will give me the motivation to want to work out. Right now I do belong to a gym and I have no motivation at all. I am hoping that doing Crossfit with a small group will increase my motivation to excersize. I know I am going to be sore the first few days. But reading the stories that people have written about their own experiences made me realize this may not be so bad after all. Especially knowing that the excersizes are scaled to your level. I just wanted to say I am learning a lot about peoples different experiences with Crossfit and I look forward to writing my own.
Great to have you on board!

I do find that the best thing about crossfit is how you get motivated to do it. The progress that you see in your performance is dramatic and very gratifying. It's really great redoing a workout after a couple of months and destroying your previous time. My girlfriend has started doing crossfit (after I, having become somewhat obsessed, started talking about it constantly) and she's been psyched to see her progress. After a few months she has cut her time on more than one workout by 1/3, and has now ditched the knee pushups for real pushups, which she had never been able to do more than about 3 of!

So, dive in (properly scaled of course) and keep us posted on how you're doing!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Ryan Jones

Profile:

It makes no sense, as painful as crossfit is, but it is fun. I look forward to it. I work out MTHF and come Saturday I'm a little sad that I won't be crossfitting until next monday night. I was never this way before, I loathed going to the gym, I absolutely hated it and would eventually rationalize my way out of going. It is not this way with crossfit, it is fun .
Old 08-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Matthew Cahn

Profile:

I've found just getting in a rhythm of working out is key to keeping it up. Its tough in the beginning, but writing down the wod right after I wake up really helps keep me motivated to do it.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
It makes no sense, as painful as crossfit is, but it is fun. I look forward to it. I work out MTHF and come Saturday I'm a little sad that I won't be crossfitting until next monday night. I was never this way before, I loathed going to the gym, I absolutely hated it and would eventually rationalize my way out of going. It is not this way with crossfit, it is fun .
So true.

My favorite quote on this is that with crossfit "You learn that something doesn't have to be fun, to be fun." It sounds like it makes no sense but every crossfitter I've known knows what I mean.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Rosie Deavila

Profile:

So I had my Crossfit work out with my trainer. I learned lot about how to do a proper squat and how to do a pull up just using your arm muscles. I did my first WOD scaled of course and boy I was shocked that I got through it. I didn't think I was going to make it. I didn't even take a break impressive huh? Well, so far I like it and know that I am going to hurting tomorrow. It is interesting how one work out can get you so exhausted. Boy do I have a long road ahead of me. The squats are something I need to work on a practice when it comes to form. I found it to be my biggest challenge..