CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Rosie Deavila
Member Rosie Deavila is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Agoura Hills  CA
Posts: 38
Motivation is the key..

So tomorrow I start to learn the Crossfit method with my trainer. Am I nervous of course I haven't worked out in a while. But I think doing this will give me the motivation to want to work out. Right now I do belong to a gym and I have no motivation at all. I am hoping that doing Crossfit with a small group will increase my motivation to excersize. I know I am going to be sore the first few days. But reading the stories that people have written about their own experiences made me realize this may not be so bad after all. Especially knowing that the excersizes are scaled to your level. I just wanted to say I am learning a lot about peoples different experiences with Crossfit and I look forward to writing my own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Nancy Cohen
Member Nancy Cohen is offline
 
Nancy Cohen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Barbara  CA
Posts: 2,630
Re: Motivation is the key..

Rosie,

In case you don't already know this, Cross Fit Ventura just opened on Saturday! That's pretty close to you. You might want to check it out.

Have fun with your first workout!
__________________
Website: http://www.FunkZoneFitness.com CF Log: http://tinyurl.com/ygz6rda
f/51y/5'7.5"/124lbs
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Rosie Deavila
Member Rosie Deavila is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Agoura Hills  CA
Posts: 38
Re: Motivation is the key..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Rosie,

In case you don't already know this, Cross Fit Ventura just opened on Saturday! That's pretty close to you. You might want to check it out.

Have fun with your first workout!
Ventura is very pretty far from my house. The only 2 I see that are close are the one in Westlake and Van Nuys.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Brett Dartt
Member Brett Dartt is offline
 
Brett Dartt's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tacoma  WA
Posts: 983
Re: Motivation is the key..

stick around the boards as well...
i hang out here most everyday at some point so that it keeps me in the mindset of crossfit. it works pretty well for me
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Caz Berkowitz
Member Caz Berkowitz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 230
Re: Motivation is the key..

Check out the Valley CrossFit local

I've been there and I recommend them. They have beginner and woman's classes in addition to the regular workout.

Easily worth a short drive on Sat or Sun to kick your motivation up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: Motivation is the key..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Deavila View Post
So tomorrow I start to learn the Crossfit method with my trainer. Am I nervous of course I haven't worked out in a while. But I think doing this will give me the motivation to want to work out. Right now I do belong to a gym and I have no motivation at all. I am hoping that doing Crossfit with a small group will increase my motivation to excersize. I know I am going to be sore the first few days. But reading the stories that people have written about their own experiences made me realize this may not be so bad after all. Especially knowing that the excersizes are scaled to your level. I just wanted to say I am learning a lot about peoples different experiences with Crossfit and I look forward to writing my own.
Great to have you on board!

I do find that the best thing about crossfit is how you get motivated to do it. The progress that you see in your performance is dramatic and very gratifying. It's really great redoing a workout after a couple of months and destroying your previous time. My girlfriend has started doing crossfit (after I, having become somewhat obsessed, started talking about it constantly) and she's been psyched to see her progress. After a few months she has cut her time on more than one workout by 1/3, and has now ditched the knee pushups for real pushups, which she had never been able to do more than about 3 of!

So, dive in (properly scaled of course) and keep us posted on how you're doing!
__________________
CERTIFICATIONS: CSCS, CrossFit LVL 1
SEMINARS: Starting Strength, Ultimate Advantage, CFE, CF O-lifting, MovNat
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Ryan Jones
Member Ryan Jones is offline
 
Ryan Jones's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Beach  CA
Posts: 527
Re: Motivation is the key..

It makes no sense, as painful as crossfit is, but it is fun. I look forward to it. I work out MTHF and come Saturday I'm a little sad that I won't be crossfitting until next monday night. I was never this way before, I loathed going to the gym, I absolutely hated it and would eventually rationalize my way out of going. It is not this way with crossfit, it is fun .
__________________
my crossfit turned SS log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Matthew Cahn
Member Matthew Cahn is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boulder,  CO
Posts: 12
Re: Motivation is the key..

I've found just getting in a rhythm of working out is key to keeping it up. Its tough in the beginning, but writing down the wod right after I wake up really helps keep me motivated to do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: Motivation is the key..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
It makes no sense, as painful as crossfit is, but it is fun. I look forward to it. I work out MTHF and come Saturday I'm a little sad that I won't be crossfitting until next monday night. I was never this way before, I loathed going to the gym, I absolutely hated it and would eventually rationalize my way out of going. It is not this way with crossfit, it is fun .
So true.

My favorite quote on this is that with crossfit "You learn that something doesn't have to be fun, to be fun." It sounds like it makes no sense but every crossfitter I've known knows what I mean.
__________________
CERTIFICATIONS: CSCS, CrossFit LVL 1
SEMINARS: Starting Strength, Ultimate Advantage, CFE, CF O-lifting, MovNat
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Rosie Deavila
Member Rosie Deavila is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Agoura Hills  CA
Posts: 38
Re: Motivation is the key..

So I had my Crossfit work out with my trainer. I learned lot about how to do a proper squat and how to do a pull up just using your arm muscles. I did my first WOD scaled of course and boy I was shocked that I got through it. I didn't think I was going to make it. I didn't even take a break impressive huh? Well, so far I like it and know that I am going to hurting tomorrow. It is interesting how one work out can get you so exhausted. Boy do I have a long road ahead of me. The squats are something I need to work on a practice when it comes to form. I found it to be my biggest challenge..
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you search the entire site for key words? Steve Ericson Technical Support 6 03-27-2008 11:19 PM
Key West, FL? David C. Butcher In Search of CrossFitters 2 09-10-2007 06:50 AM
Any advice on key points for magazine ad? Brad Kohler Running a CrossFit Facility 4 11-29-2006 12:11 AM
The Key Factor Michael Halbfish Fitness 13 03-01-2005 08:24 AM
Key Gym Barry Cooper Equipment 3 12-16-2003 12:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.