CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Todd Richards

Profile:
Todd's WOD/Workout Log

Started CF Training for first time today

First Scaled BrandX WOD Ever! - 08 OCT 07

Weighted pull-ups 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Loads: 10 / 35 / 35 / 35 / 35 / 45 / 45
  • 1 round
  • No kips
  • Overhand Wide Grip
  • Non-timed
  • 1 - 2 minutes rest between 1 RM sets (that is how we're supposed to do strength days right?)

Last edited by Todd Richards; 10-08-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Todd Richards

Profile:
Re: Todd's WOD/Workout Log

I'm still hesitant to do Crossfit because I have a difficult time getting the gym space to do these excercises in a circuit which seems to be the whole point of CF on non strength days. How am I supposed to see a cardiorespiratory and muscular endurance increase when I can't tax myself on timed rounds because of equipment unavailability?

I am also hesitant because my flexibility is extremely poor (0 on a 0-10 scale) and I can barely even do modified versions of many of the exercises do the flexibility limitations.

Monday 080121

Complete as many rounds as you can in twenty minutes of:
5 Handstand Push-ups
10 L Pull-ups
15 Steps, Walking Lunge

Results & Personal Critique

1 round CFWU. First time doing CFWU and first time doing overhead squats. Didn't do the pullups or pushups in the warmup because todays WOD involved those muscle groups. I didn't have flexibility to keep head in line w/ hips throughout whole to-or-below-parallel movement. Back kept coming forward. I need to find a good 5 day a week stretching routine, or have somebody who is familiar with flexibility suggest one.

Modified Pack:

15 12-16'' subbed elevated pushups
(I could have done more, or done inverted V pushups. I did inverted V pushups on the first round, but the range of motion sucks compared to doing a strict form pushup. I don't like the inverted V's, or the concept of HSPUs. The range of motion is far too limited for the shoulder and chest compared with your traditional overhead press or elevated parallel-to-floor pushup. I don't feel like I'm getting a good enough stretch or allow for full muscular contraction. Limited ROM exercises are not good for flexibility in my opinion)[/I]

Subbed 6 regular strict form pullups (I absolutely suck at kipping. I have too much momentum when I pendulum, and my abs aren't exactly strong enough to continually raise my knees upward every repetition. I also can't do L-sits or tucked knee sits. My ab and leg strength are very weak)

9 steps, walking lunge (I'm a bit confused. Is it 9 steps with EACH leg, or 9 steps total? I did 9 steps total. I could have done the RX'd 15, and should've, but I kept with 9 the entire time)

7 rounds in 20 minutes (nothing to smile at. Very bad number of rounds. I should have added a weighted vest or plate on my back when doing the elevated push ups and lunges. My pullups are kind of weak. My 1 set max is only 11 strict form, and I don't know how to kip. The videos didn't help me much. Still feel like a fish out of water kipping and I've been practicing for more than two months. It's not a natural motion. Maybe somebody can explain how kipping is more functional than strict form? You can't kip when you rock climb or climb a fence or something like that).

I also did hanging knee raises from the pullup bar after the WOD. 4 sets of 3. Knee raise was until the knees almost touched the pullup bar and I was tilted backward.

I'm a bit gassed after this WOD but nothing compared to how gassed I normally feel on my strength training routine on Monday. I also threw in a few sets of bench press, overhead press, and cable rows along with a couple extra sets of pullups and pushups after the WOD was over. I didn't feel like I got enough of a stimulus from the WOD compared to my normal strength training routine which I substituted in todays WOD for. I'm looking for functional movements, but I'm not looking just solely for endurance. I do pullups with a weighted vest normally, and these pullups, while difficult as the rounds kept going, aren't going to help increase my lattisimus strength compared to what I am currently doing. I am sorely disappointed with the after feeling between my normal strength routine and this. I honestly think this will have negative effects on my strength for my scheduled lifting on Wednesday. Doesn't feel like I did anything at all, despite the sucking air and momentary fatigue feeling for the entire 20 minutes. It seemed more of a cardio workout than anything else. Maybe I picked the wrong WOD to start crossfit again on. I pushed myself, and my number of pullups are weak because I'm not an endurance athlete, but I just don't feel as gassed as I normally do on a Monday and to me, being totally gassed is the sign of a good workout.

Last edited by Todd Richards; 01-21-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Todd Richards

Profile:

I think I spoke WAAAAY too soon about not feeling like the Crossfit WOD was a good workout compared to my normal Monday lifting routine. Call it stubbornness or reluctance to accept Crossfit just yet, but I am absolutely tanked. I have no energy. It's 10:30 PM right now, I'm trying to pound out this assignment from my professor, and I am beyond exhausted. I am absolutely tanked from doing what I was able to for the WOD, throwing some extra pushups and pullups + bench press, cable rows, and BB shoulder presses in there, then going to a washboard abs class at my gym, then going back to the gym to do some more ab work. I'm sitting here and my shoulders are on fire and my back is sore. I am REALLY feeling it right now. Thank heavens tomorrow is a rest day. I'll need it since today was my first WOD since last October when I last tried to get into CF. Please excuse my initial ignorance. I am often impatient when it comes to comparing methodologies and philosophies for practical results. I just keep thinking of all that time, all that sweat, all that pain I put into my strength training the past two years, will go down the drain if I start to CrossFit. I feel like my gains will atrophy and I'll basically be starting back where I was two years ago. It's a very, very sobering and almost demoralizing feeling realizing I may see some of this beautiful body waste away as I get used to crossfit and ease into the excercises. I'm getting a cruel dose of reality, or maybe I'm totally off the mark, but it's a lot to suddenly change how you view and engage in your personal fitness. It's like quitting smoking cold-turkey.

Last edited by Todd Richards; 01-21-2008 at 08:39 PM..
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Todd Richards

Profile:

Did 1 round CFWU at a leisurely pace. I know CF isn't about idling around between exercises, but I'm still trying to learn some of the movements like the overhead squat. My squat form is hooooorible and my hamstrings are so tight (along with everything else on me) that I need to work on flexibility before I can focus on hamstring-oriented exercises.

Timed 500 meter row on C2 at 10 resistance (max) - 1:56
I would like to get my 500 meter under 1:20 within 2 months. I think it's doable. I have to work on my hamstring flexibility and find the proper foot position. My glutes were killing me. Maybe I'm not used to rowing often, or maybe it's my foot position, or my flexibility. I'm leaning toward flexibility.

Continued to row for 18 minutes @ ~4100 meters. Spent 10 minutes on the elliptical at 8 of 20 resistance at a moderate pace both forward and backward
Refueled and after a few hour break then ran 9 min-mile on the treadmill, spent 5 minutes on a stationary bike, another mile on the treadmill at 9 minutes, this time doing sprint work ranging from 7MPH to 12 MPH, and then 8 minutes on the elliptical to finish the day off.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Delita Wright

Profile:

Todd, you got it goin' on! You should see my scaled work-outs and *un* flexibility. But, it is working. I can do 3-4 times what I could do a month ago. WooHoo! Welcome to it!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Todd Richards

Profile:

Thanks Delita . I wish you success in your Crossfit future.

1 round CFWU, non-timed.

As RX'd - Four Rounds for time: 400M
  1. 59.3 seconds
  2. 58.7 seconds
  3. 1:34.2
    Met pukie for the first time at the end of round 3!
  4. 1:59.3

Took a few hour break, then did my normal strength training routine, another couple hour break, and spent 40 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes on the treadmill at a leisurely pace, and finished up with a set of 10 burpees.

Last edited by Todd Richards; 01-23-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Todd Richards

Profile:

I didn't do the strength WOD for today because I have lower back problems that prevent me from doing exercises like that. Instead, I did some cardio/metcon.

10 rounds of:

1 minute all-out sprint at maximum speed. Distance not measured.
1 minute slow/moderate jog for recovery (I'm not a fan of 1:2 interval training. I much prefer to keep the intensity high and go 1:1)

Also threw in some core strengthening exercises within the limits of my lower back injury and got on the stair-climber for 30 minutes at half-of-max resistance/intensity.