CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
I started to post this in Beth's previous thread, but didn't want to hijack her support group idea, so:

Beth,
When I saw your other post about Nicole, I got fired up about the zone again too. BUT...I tried it about 5 years ago, and all I was was hungry. Honestly, it's the stuff like "woo-hoo, 6 whole almonds" that makes me crazy.

I calculate out at 11 blocks too, and that, basically, is a starvation diet. Never enough food to be satisfied; little teases like "here are your 3 almonds." That's not a snack; that's a tease. I'd just as soon not bother.

While I'm cautiously re-interested, too many bad memories of how horrible it was are interfering. Constantly hungry and no results (oh yeah, no energy as a bonus).

So if you zoners have any thoughts on the starvation biz (yes, I know, AFTER the fat loss, you get to add fat...) and the fact that I'm really not interested in slowing my metabolism any more by kicking in the anti-starving mechanism, I'd sure be interested!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Lynne, how about going up to 13 blocks/day: 4 X 3 block meals and a 1 block bedtime snack? That's 91 grams of protein. Add some fiber supplimentation and add fish oil, over and above the 3 blocks of fat for meals. 1 Kirkland brand fish oil tab = 10 calories. So at 20 tabs a day (4 per meal), your looking at an extra 200 calories that won't turn to body fat. Nutrition is really the least fun and one of the most important fitness disciplines IMHO.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I just posted this in Beth's thread as well - I too had the severe hunger problems at first, and the answer was to eat more (so simple it's not quite obvious). The key to the Zone is not limiting food amount, so much as keeping the carb/fat/pro ratio. I can't imagine 11 blocks a day, that's barely 1000 Calories. Eat when you're hungry, and don't be afraid to eat a 5 block meal. Eat slowly, chew, and keep the ratio intact. That's my advice based on my experience, please take it as nothing more.

Ben
Old 02-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Thanks, guys. Amen on the "least fun" part; it's a constant frustration.

How sacrosanct is the bedtime snack? I'd much rather have a mid-morning snack; dinner is so late it might as well be bedtime anyway.

Let's see... a one block snack - that's the famous "3 almonds," right?:uhoh:
Old 02-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Lynne - what is your body fat percentage? Do you know? Are you happy where you are right now? The photos of you look like your pretty leaned out. Probably you need to increase your fat blocks. You could ask Coach or Lauren directly for their comment - they are darn good at eyeballing how many blocks folks need.

Coach and Lauren and Coach Robb Wolf all recommend not adding more food - just more fat blocks to each meal. They report that folks like Nicole and Greg and their other top athletes end up needing more like a ratio of one block protien, one block carb, five blocks fat. They increase fat blocks one or two at a time so you might need 1/1/2 to start and see what happens. It is the fat in our meals that give us the feeling of satiation. Last week my husband said he was starving on zone breakfasts so we did the math and it turned out he was really only eating about 1/1/.5. He upped the fat to a full block and hunger went away.

Oh - and this wouldn't be a thread hijack. This is the exact kind of stuff I want to encourage on the thread - what is our difficulties in getting ourselves into the zone - how do each of us individualize it so it works.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Beth,
BF% 20ish (yuck). Happy? Hell no, I'm borderline suicidal! (Ask Kelly; she had to listen to me rant -again- for 30 mins yesterday.)

1/1/2? Translate please?

Thanks....BTW, all this "blocks" biz makes my head spin. My brain shuts down trying to process what the hell a block is and what that means in real food. I worked with a nutritional counselor a few months ago and he'd say things like "eat 30 grams of oatmeal." WTF??? Dry? Cooked? Ever hear of cups or oz? Hmm; we need a "rant" icon!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Marina Volpicelli

Profile:

if you add just fat, and not protein or carb, doesn't that in essence, take you out of the zone, since your ratios would end up being more like 20-30-50 or something? (50 being the fat part) Why wouldn't you just increase all around?

I am also trying to do this, and worried about lowering my metabolism, since I have already lowered it with too little food last year. My BF is around 25% (I would LOVE to get to 20% Lynne, don't knock it!) but I am really active, so 1100 calories just would NOT be a healthy idea I don't think. I typically do 1-2hrs of activity a day between running and ice hockey, plus a few WOD (modified for lack of equipment tho) a week.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
The Zone is essentially just the ratio between carbs and protein. 9g carb/7g protein is the standard. The 40/30/30 is for when you start. When getting under 10% BF, you up the fat. I am currently at 31/24/45 (3x fat) and feel like I'm doing great with the Zone.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Lynne,

for me when I started Zoneing I was at 14 blocks and I thought that is not very much. But what I did was cut all bread, rice (living in Japan that made my wife real happy, NOT.), pasta, and beans. I still try to not eat any of these. So I have to now take a ton of veggies to counter what a slice of bread would give me. In the end it was almost too much food because of the amounts I have to eat. I am now up to 19 blocks, I am trying to get down to 7% body fat. And still I have to eat more than I can at each meal. One nice thing I found by cutting out all the rice and pasta and what not, I no longer have sugar cravings and that was my big downfall.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Michael,
That's part of the frustration with the zone biz. I don't eat bread/rice/pasta/beans. And there aren't enough hours in the day to eat 6 cups of raw spinach...or whatever insane amount of veggies constitutes a "block." You aren't allowed "dense" carbs, and it's not realistic to eat bales of greenery. It seems a lot easier to just not eat so many carbs!

For example, my regular breakfast is 4 oz egg beaters + 2 eggs + 1 -1.5 cups frozen mixed veggies. I have to jump that amount of veggies by some exponential multiplier to get "zoned." My belly ain't that big!

Thanks,