CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Im seriously considering coming to the CF certification in Feb. Thing is my knowlegde of the US is limited to a 12hr stop over in 2002, most of which i spent down on Venice Beach. So i have a few questions first.

Question what is the closest international airport? How far away is it from CF Santa Cruz.Whats the best conection between the two.

Is there anywhere close by the train BJJ/Submission Wrestling. Or tournaments around the same time.

What's the weather like that time of year.

Any other information you feel would help will be welcome

Fiona
Australia
Old 11-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
go for it Fiona. we need to get some Aussies over there. if you go can YOu bring me back a set of bumpers, some d-balls and dynamax balls, umm and a C2.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
lol, i got to get over there first.Want to come with??

Oh by the way just checked rego form and found the closest ariport is Mineta San Jose. But couldn't find any flight from Oz to there. I think i have to fly into LA.
Any comments?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
I hate working nights,at least I have dial up.
Fiona,
I'm attempting to get over mid next year,Feb is too early for me.It would be good if we could get a few Aussies all over on the same Cert.Get the network back here happening a bit more.
BTW, Nice work on your O lift Cert

Stephen,
We were going to smuggle you in our bags but from the looks of your avatar you are getting too HUGE!

Cool Carry Bro!
Old 11-26-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Yeh that would be cool,
When where you thinking of going, i have to fit "away" travel in with NRL off or pre-session, I work for the NQ Cowboys wrestling coach, and cover him at the gym when he is training them.So Febs kind of the latest i can go till October.
O lift cert not offical yet, still have to send in coaching log but won't be to far away so Thankyou.
I gave the guy who is making my training plates the dimensions today so they should be ready sometime next week.
I have already put a few people, including myself on the beginners program.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Tom Needham

Profile:
Hi Fiona, I was also checking out BJJ/Grappling schools in the area if I'm able to make it to the seminar. Dave Camarillo teaches at Amercan Kickboxing Academy (one of the top MMA teams in the states). The guy is ridiculously skilled, Judo black belt and BJJ black belt, check out the video clips on him at his site http://dcacademy.info/bio.shtml . The school is in San Jose which I believe is about a half hour north of Santa Cruz. Not sure if San Jose is an internation airport but that appears to be the closest airport.

Good luck,

Tom

Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
James Falkner

Profile:
Fiona,

Flying from Los Angeles (LAX) into San Jose (SJC) is a piece of cake and is your best and cheapest option. Driving time from SJC to the Santa Cruz CrossFit HQ facility is 30 minutes or so with no traffic. With traffic it's more like an hour. Flying time from LAX to SJC is around an hour and there are flights flying between those two cities every hour or so (especially on United Airlines).

Of course, you can also map this drive using google. It's a fun drive esp. with no traffic and a decent vehicle :-)
Old 11-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Do allow for the fact that us Yanks drive on the wrong side of the road, here . . .
Old 11-27-2005, 04:29 AM   #9
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Go the Cowboys!
Realisticly,I was looking towards the second half of 06.
A group of us going would be good but may not be practical,we could always hit the US crew up for a Aussie Holiday/Cert Tour of Down Under?

Old 11-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #10
Simon Callander

Profile:

im also considering later next year but would deffinatly prefer a home deliverly tour. we can always hope