CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I was doing some Hindu style push ups (where you hips start high and you dip down through the bottom of the push up before bridging up and stretching your abs).

I was on the up stroke looking toward the ceiling when. . . OUCH sharp pain in my back between my shoulder blades (just to the right of my spine). It apperantly has something to do with my neck. I have lost 90% of the mobility in my neck (all directions), there is a constant dull pain in all positions, and sharper pain when I move my neck or breath deeply.

Medical insurance is sketchy for me right now (new job). I am pretty sure I wouldn't get in to see a Doc until after the new year.

A) what do you think might have done it?

B) what can I do to mitigate some of the pain?

C) what types of things can I do to promote healing?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Nikki Young

Profile:
It's possible you have trapped a nerve. In which case there isn't much you can do but wait until it's un-trapped itself. You could try getting a massage on it, and maybe some anti-imflamitory gel/tablets could help. But if it doesn't clear up in a few days it might be more serious.

I knew a guy who had a trapped nerve in his neck. Took around 6months for it to un-trap itself, in addition to a lot of treatment. Most of the time when i trap a nerve it passes within a couple of days.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
It's not a nerve. There are no nerves between the soulderblades that travel up into the cervical region. It's probably one of the longitudinal muscles that travel from the mid-thoracic spine up into the neck. Ice massage would be a good start.

BTW, did you tell Coach that you were doing hindu pushups? Tsk, tsk.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
They weren't exactly Hindu push-ups, but it was that motion that did it.

Besides, I thought it was the Hindu squats that were bad (the ones where you 'hop' forward and back in the middle of the squat).

Been ice massaging with a frozen water bottle, and using an ice pack. Not to mention popping the Advil. God I Love Advil.

I am up to about 50% mobility in the rotational plane ( nodding "NO), but up and down ("yes")is still about 20%. Ear to shoulder movement is about 20% as well. There doesn't appear to be any major swelling (or so my wife tells me, I can't turn my head to look in a mirror).

Today I haven't taken any Advil and I feel okay as long as I stay with in my limited range of motion.

When should I start trying to stretch or extend my ROM? Should I just continue the ice massage, or should I mix it up with heat at some point?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
David Besachio

Profile:
Jeremy:

I agree with Will. Sounds muscular. Make sure you take the advil with food. Give it a couple days. These things are the curse of many active people.

David
Old 12-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Jeremy,
Keep going with the ice, bro, and make sure you're hitting the bottom of the neck (C5-6-7).

I've been dealing with something similar for 6 mos, that I thought was shoulderblade area muscular issue, and turns out to be a pinched spinal nerve, referring pain out to the shoulderblade.
It could be we're dealing with two different things, but it sounds suspiciously similar to what I've got, especially the "head to shoulders stretch hurts". Does that stretch hurt sharply (OW!) or gradually? One side or both?
Do you have any tingling going down either of your arms (hand falling asleep more often than usual)?

Again, it may be just a muscle spasm in the shoulders or upper back, but if you have any of these other symptoms, let's talk...
JK
Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Near full mobility regained. Only pain at the most extreme edges of movement.

Pain gradually increases, not sharp. Both sides, but significantly more on one side.

I think it is muscular. Must have had a spasm when doing the exercise. Wrong place, Wrong time kind of thing. I am going to keep up the ice massage, work on very easy stretching. Once the pain is gone, I plan on adding resistance.

Thanks all!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Mike Moore

Profile:
A C6C7 disc herniation can cause pain in the region you describe. This may or may not be the source of your symptoms, but a cervical disc herniation can indeed produce pain in this region.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
Jeffrey Chu

Profile:  
I have the same problem, although not from doing Hindu pushups. This actually somewhat frequently happens to me if I do an overhead press exercise somewhat incorrectly, perhaps I my neck is too far forward or something, I have yet to figure it out.

In any case, I am actually suffering from this on both sides and makes sleeping very difficult - the pain can be sharp at times. My chiropractor and physical therapist seem to relieve a bit of the pain. They recommend heat rather than cold.