CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Lyell Walker

Profile:
Im a Newbie and I Need Help (duh)

OK I saw the cross fit games on ESPN this past Sunday and I was immediately moved to try cross fit. I would love one day to be able to do the Fran. I workout on my own mainly cause I can't afford the $150 a month membership fee to the local CF gym.

background: 30 years old. 2.5 years ago i was 6'2'' 350 lbs. Today I'm 225. I lost most of that weight with lots of cardio and a little strength training. About a year ago i switched to more strength training and less cardio to build more lean muscle mass. Most of my lifting background is high school football. So a lot of squats, dead lifts, clean and jerks, bench etc etc. I still do a lot of those workouts but also do non CF exercises like bicep curls.

My question(s) is this: How do i incorporate the WOD's with my traditional weight training regiment? Should I lift first than do the WOD? If i want more endurance should I back off the lifting and focus on WOD's?

My goal isn't necessarily to be super strong. Been there done that. I love the Functional Movement aspect of CF but I also want functional strength. I am looking for more endurance and lean muscle.

I just need a little guidance on how to develop a routine. So please help!

Thanks,

Lyell
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Im a Newbie and I Need Help (duh)

There's plenty of programs that integrate heavy barbell lifting with CF-style conditioning in a 3-5 day per week program. Check out CFFB, GSLP, 5/3/1, and conjugate CF for examples there.

I don't understand you saying you want to keep doing heavy lifting but you don't want to be "super strong." What do you define as "super strong" and how would having a big squat or deadlift or C&J not qualify as functional strength? Plus it's more than doable to get stronger while also improving conditioning. That's where the above programs come into play.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Lyell Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
There's plenty of programs that integrate heavy barbell lifting with CF-style conditioning in a 3-5 day per week program. Check out CFFB, GSLP, 5/3/1, and conjugate CF for examples there.

I don't understand you saying you want to keep doing heavy lifting but you don't want to be "super strong." What do you define as "super strong" and how would having a big squat or deadlift or C&J not qualify as functional strength? Plus it's more than doable to get stronger while also improving conditioning. That's where the above programs come into play.
Thats the thing I don't want to continue heavy lifting. I want to continue doing the movements but i no longer care if I can deadlift 400 lbs. I want more of the endurance part of CF not necessarily the strength.

For instance, I want to be able to do 100 pull ups not press 325 lbs.

I may be more confused by CF than anything else.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Getting good at CF requires strength and endurance. Your ability to do difficult workouts will be significantly degraded if you can't deadlift 400lbs. And having a 400+ deadlift isn't particularly impressive and is not mutually exclusive with increased endurance or with being able to complete a workout with 100 pullups.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Lyell Walker

Profile:

Gotcha. So strength will create endurance and endurance will also create strength. Ill look into those programs you listed above.

Is there any other advice you can think of?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Eh, not exactly. Think of it this way--if you have one guy who has a 350lb squat and a 400lb deadlift and can do a pullup with an additional 90lbs, he going to have a lot easier time handling high reps of pullups or 135lb power cleans/thrusters than someone who has a 250lb squat and 300lb deadlift and only a +40lb pullup, even if the second guy has slightly better conditioning and endurance. As weights on the workout increase that disparity will increase even more...i.e. no amount of endurance will help you do multiple reps at 315lb deadlifts if your 1RM is 325lbs, and you're going to get killed on that workout by someone with a 450lb deadlift.

You'll find strength helps strength endurance and metcon capacity, but the opposite isn't true....i.e. no amount of 100lb squats will help me get a 400lb 1RM squat, but getting a 400lb 1RM squat will allow me to do a lot more 100lb squats.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Lyell Walker

Profile:

Thanks, That makes complete sense. I guess one of my concerns with lifting heavier and heavier is the lack of a spotter. I workout at home and typically while no one else is at the house. So there is this built in "dont get hurt" mentality. Which has led me to focus more on high rep but lower weight.

I tried finding those workouts you listed but could only find links to message boards. Where do I find the actual routines? Are they in the journals?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The only thing you really need a spotter for is benching, but you can get around that if you're really sure of what you're doing and know how to stop a rep or two short of failure. You can dump a squat if you're using bumper plates or if you have safety bars or are in a power rack.

CFFB=crossfitfootball.com (WFS)
GSLP, 5/3/1, and conjugate CF have multiple threads on this board if you do some searching around for them. You can also read more about GSLP on the Strength Villain forum or get the 5/3/1 e-book from Jim Wendler's site.