CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Sean Richard

Profile:
any one try the trigger point products?

Has anyone here tried the trigger point massage products? they look good based off the info on there site. Also I see they have a new smart core training program.I wonder if it's any good?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: any one try the trigger point products?

Use a golf ball. It's cheap, effective, and will work the large majority of times.

Last edited by Brian Strump; 05-16-2010 at 05:18 AM..
Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I use lacrosse balls. Golf ball is a good idea. Never thought of that. I figure any of the harder sports balls would work. Cheap and effective. I would spend the majority of the money on a book. A triggerpoint roadmap is needed.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

I just didn't know how much of the world, especially in the US even knew what a lacrosse ball was. That too is a good idea, baseball too. I like the golf ball for its size.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Tony Young

Profile:

We use pitching machine softballs as well as the lacrosse balls that Shawn mentions. Taping 2 balls together is fantastic for thoracic spine work. Foam rollers are great, too. Check out K-Star's vid's(wfs) and get to a Mobility Cert as soon as you can.

The Body Buddy (wfs) is a must-have. I don't get wound up about specialty tools very often but this one works. It's effective, multi-use, relatively cheap and indestructible.

This might be the only book you need. (wfs) Excellent.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Judd Shea

Profile:

I have the TP massage ball, quadballer, and footballer. I also use a foam roller, lacrosse balls, and a muscletrax and the stick. I had ITb for about 3 years and worked to no end to get relief from it. The TP stuff did it for me I think. The quadballer is amazing and I use the massage ball on a daily basis still to this day. The lacrosse balls (especially 2 taped together in pantyhose) works great as mentioned for spine work.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

I'm pretty interested in this stuff as I'm currently having some hip/knee issues that seem to be coming from tight/knotted up hips and legs. I foam roll as often as I can but I've been looking at getting "the Stick" as something I can do a bit easier while in a computer chair or on the go.

I'm looking at the different types and I want the stiffest possible and will probably just be used for getting at the calves, hams, hip flexors and IT band all day. Anyone have any experience with the 19" or 24" stiff ones?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Corey Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ricksecker View Post
I'm pretty interested in this stuff as I'm currently having some hip/knee issues that seem to be coming from tight/knotted up hips and legs. I foam roll as often as I can but I've been looking at getting "the Stick" as something I can do a bit easier while in a computer chair or on the go.

I'm looking at the different types and I want the stiffest possible and will probably just be used for getting at the calves, hams, hip flexors and IT band all day. Anyone have any experience with the 19" or 24" stiff ones?
I would recommend a tiger tail over the stick. The stick bends too easily.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Giles Clarke

Profile:

Iíve been using the TP foam roller for a little over a month. It has been fantastic at unlocking my lower back and piriformis areas. Because of this, my stretching has become more effective and it has improved my overall flexibility and injury prevention.
It is a lot firmer than a lot of other foam rollers, so it really gets in there and gets the job done. I also use golf balls and tennis balls for more specific knots and kinks (I hadnít thought of using a lacrosse ball, but now plan to buy one). I have not used The Stick, but use a regular old bakerís rolling pin. It is firm and will not bend or break.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Judd Shea

Profile:

I don't know which Stick you have, but mine doesn't bend hardly at all. There is a stiff stick available if you are bigger and don't want it to flex. I have a muscletrac and while not very popular, it should be because it is pure awesomeness, stiff, and gets deep down.