CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Eric Moffit

Profile:
ive been doing the Mike Burgener snatch warmup recently and think its great. so i was wondering, does he have a similar warmup specific to the C&J? thanks.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Has this been posted somewhere or is this related to a seminar?

I've taken notes on the LLC Coaching tapes and do the drills they recommend. Great general warm-up (even if you're not doing the O lifts) with an empty bar.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:
eric: when we use the snatch warm up we use it for every warm up...you don't need anything else. my lifters do this warm up even if they are doing a crossfit workout only for the day. i will vary some stuff periodically....i.e. i will do db shrugs, just like the snatch shrugs(down and up, just like jumping) but keeping the db to the side, db high pulls, db cleans, db front sqt, db lunge and db thrusters. all for 3 reps each except the thrusters where i use 5 reps. this gives the athlete 20 reps and i usually have them do this for 3-5 rounds. in the beginning they will use a light db in each hand...i.e. 20 lbs or so....but as they get conditioned they will use up to 40 lbs. you can even do this warm up as a workout with a heavier db and bump up the reps....ie 15-20 each exercise. you may meet pukie. coach burgener
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Coach Burgener-
thanks for the reply and the pukie warning. your DB warmup/workout sounds great...i'll definitely give it a try. i gained new respect for DB squat cleans in yesterday's chipper. one question though...could you explain the snatch shrug a bit more? i kind of understand it but the "down and up, just like jumping" is a little confusing for me.

Paul-
Lincoln Brigham wrote about the Burgener warmup in Dan John's Get Up! Newsletter. Here's the link...

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/7322.html

it is a great warmup/drill to get the muscles loose and to work on lifting technique. as Lincoln mentions, it is meant to be done with pvc pipe or a broomstick but ive also done it once with the bar (and then decided i should probably stick to the broomstick for a while longer).
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Mike Burgener

Profile:
if i told you to jump, you would stand straight and then you would rebend your knees (going down) then immediately you would explode upward in a vertical fashion.....this is the down and up. i say that the snatch is nothing more than a jump with a barbell in your hands...that is why in my warm up sequence i always go down and then up into a an extension.....sage taught me that....as a 14 yr old she was and is smart enough to see the value of mimicking the jump in every lift or warm up....this keeps it simple but also keeps it specific. if i can lean to go down and up (jump) i can snatch. its a no brainer. jeff martin is still talking about learning how to jump and land. coach b
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Coach, I'm still muttering "jump and land" when I work through various lifts. I Cleaned & Jerked 70# the other day. 10 singles.

I still haven't attempted any OHS for the latest challenge. Soon. Soooooon.

:-)
Laura

Old 02-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Eric Moffit

Profile:
thanks, coach burgener...perfect description
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Starting tomorrow, my CC runners will learn the value of the word, "JUMP!" Mike's a great teacher because he knows how to keep it simple, yet scientific!
Coach,
I'll send you some pictures of my runners getting some PVC love!!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hah! Ron, on the search page the only thing that shows of Coach B's post is:

"If I tell you jump, you would..."

I finished it in my mind: "...ask how high, SIR!"
Old 02-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Mike Burgener

Profile:
laura, will we see you this weekend in santa cruz? i will be getting up there thur night. looking forward to teaching some good ole fashion jumping and landing. keep up the good work on the weights. ron, would love to see the pix. its amazing how hard people work with the pvc pipe to learn the lifts....great stuff. coach b