CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Marlon Thompson

Profile:
Invictus WOD

If you feel the desire for something new and intense, try one of my favorite WODs from the CrossFit Disciples.....Invictus:

INVICTUS
Full Tabata format (8 rounds each) with 1 minute rest between exercises of:
95lb Thrusters
Run
1-1/2 pood KB Swing
Row
75 lb SDHP
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Invictus WOD

How are you scoring the run?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Robert Gonzalez

Profile:

It'd be scored by distance if I was correct so youd have to find a track or know how far you ran somehow (sounds ridiculous beyond belief not to mention the stares you'll get, but tape measure will work if you run up and down the block)
Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gonzalez View Post
It'd be scored by distance if I was correct so youd have to find a track or know how far you ran somehow (sounds ridiculous beyond belief not to mention the stares you'll get, but tape measure will work if you run up and down the block)
That would be pretty awkward for a Tabata interval; 10 seconds isn't really an ample time to stop and measure distance. I would think that something along the lines of a 10 yard shuttle run for reps would be more effectively manageable.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Marlon Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
How are you scoring the run?
We perform the run portion of Invictus on a marked football field, and score it to the nearest yard. The field is artificial turf, so "eyeballing" the number is quick.

We've also done it on a treadmill. Adapt to what you have available. Let me know if you like it. It kills me every time.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
That would be pretty awkward for a Tabata interval; 10 seconds isn't really an ample time to stop and measure distance. I would think that something along the lines of a 10 yard shuttle run for reps would be more effectively manageable.
You could just score the whole thing together. Record how far you got in the entire 4 minutes once you finish running.

BTW I HAVE done doth tabata running intervals and tabata heavy bag work. Both BRUTAL!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
You could just score the whole thing together. Record how far you got in the entire 4 minutes once you finish running.
Yeah, but then you don't have a Tabata score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Thompson View Post
We perform the run portion of Invictus on a marked football field, and score it to the nearest yard. The field is artificial turf, so "eyeballing" the number is quick.
That's actually a good idea.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Ali Inan

Profile:

Okay, sorry for the newbie post, but I found in forms what the Tabata concept is, 20 seconds and 10 seconds off. What I don't understand is am I doing 6-8 rounds of this? So I do kettleball swings, 6-8 rounds of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off then I go to run? Then I do that whole thing over 8 times again??? Also what does SDHP stand for?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #9
Marlon Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Inan View Post
Okay, sorry for the newbie post, but I found in forms what the Tabata concept is, 20 seconds and 10 seconds off. What I don't understand is am I doing 6-8 rounds of this? So I do kettleball swings, 6-8 rounds of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off then I go to run? Then I do that whole thing over 8 times again??? Also what does SDHP stand for?
Ali, nothing to be sorry about. We were all newbies at some point. I've been CrossFitting for over 7 years, and Pukie still sits on my back during WOD's. SDHP stands for Sumo Deadlift High Pull. To be more clear on the Invictus protocol, it is not 1 total Tabata cycle, but a total of 5 Tabata cycles at 8 rounds each. It's the same concept as "Tabata Something Else" but more intense. Mixing pure cardio (sprinting and rowing) with weight related movements (Thrusters, Sumo Deadlift High Pull, and Kettlebell swing) is intensly taxing. At first, I just wanted to get through it. Now I crave the opportunity of getting more fit every time I do it. "Continual growth and accomplishment nutures personal Invictus".
Old 08-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Ali Inan

Profile:

What is wrong with you people, I did 3.5 rounds of this, vomitted. Then went home and slept for the next 3-4 hours. I have never felt pain like this before and I love it!!!! Oh man!!! But 8 rounds?! Seriously, you might want to check, maybe you are not human, perhaps part bear or some kind of animal.