CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
David Wood

Profile:

Reported today in the NY Times:

"Very intense exercise, as little as 12 minutes total over a two-week period, can double endurance capacity, according to a study published in the June issue of the Journal of Applied Physiology.

Sixteen physically active college students ages 21 to 27 took part in the study. Eight were tested two weeks apart with no training in between. The other eight performed "sprint interval training" - they did four to seven 30-second sprints on a stationary bicycle, resting four minutes between each sprint. A researcher encouraged them verbally to pedal as hard as possible. They performed six of these sessions over two weeks.

The results were surprising. The average improvement in cycle endurance, measured by time to fatigue, was about 100 percent (from 26 minutes at the beginning of training to 51 minutes at the end). The group that did not train showed no improvement.

This kind of training, at least in its most demanding form, may not be for everyone. "We're not suggesting that totally sedentary people jump on a bicycle and start pedaling their hearts out," said Martin J. Gibala, the senior author of the paper, "and we're not suggesting that people do only six minutes of exercise per week. But interval training is not just for elite athletes. Studies have shown that the elderly, and even people with coronary artery disease, can benefit from a properly supervised interval training program."

Dr. Gibala, who is a professor in the kinesiology department at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, suggested that even people whose only exercise is walking might improve their endurance by simply walking a bit faster for alternating intervals of time. "The main message," he said, "is that people can get away with less exercise time if they are willing to trade duration for intensity."

Researchers are uncertain why the training has such a big effect, but it probably stimulates changes in muscle function and blood circulation that increase endurance by metabolizing oxygen more efficiently."

What I find amazing is that this is still news to anyone in the field of "exercise science" . .

Old 06-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Is this what is referred to as the famous Black Box?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
THE WORLD FINALLY OPENS IT'S EYES!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
4 minutes rest between sprints??
Bloody luxury!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
HA! That's what I was thinking, Ron. Someone needs to run this with tabata intervals.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
James R. Climer

Profile:
THE WORLD FINALLY OPENS IT'S EYES!!!

Don't get too optimistic about that...the entire world may one day KNOW it, yet most won't DO it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Don't get too optimistic about that...the entire world may one day KNOW it, yet most won't DO it.

I believe this falls under the proverbial "lead a horse to water" category. Kinda like the world's eyes are open to the fact that exercise is good for you, yet most still don't do it.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
What!? You mean this high intensity stuff actually works!

I have just been doing it because I am a self loathing individual who enjoys pain.

Wow. Who knew that this stuff had a side effect like "increased performance"

Seriously though, that is a pretty cool article. I like being able to site examples of research when people ask me what I am doing to get into great shape.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Seriously though, that is a pretty cool article. I like being able to site examples of research when people ask me what I am doing to get into great shape.

I just tell people it's those "Fitness Made Simple" tapes with "Fitness Celebrity" John Basedow.

(I hate the fact this guy advertises incessantly during baseball games!)