CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Why do I get hungrier when I eat more vegetables?

When I read these boards, there is a lot of discussion of how much food one has to eat if one is trying to go Zone and Paleo, in terms of green vegetables. When 4 cups of spinach is one block, you have a huge, HUGE plate of veggies to finish in front of you in one meal!

But I find after finishing these huge plates, I'm actually hungrier--ravenously hungry--after than I was before my meal. I can't figure it out. I'm eating broccoli, spinach, kale, green beans, very healthy, green, cruciferous stuff, and in huge, huge quantities. But I find if I skip the carbs altogether or substitute in fruit, I'm less hungry and stay less hungry than if I'm eating these "good" carbs. Has anyone else had this experience? Is my body just crazy?

I should note, I am doing IF/Paleo/Zone, and I only restarted on Sunday (the previous month being sabatoged by holiday madness). However, whenever I've been eating healthfully I have found this pattern to be the case.

Last edited by Emily Mattes; 01-10-2008 at 09:45 AM..
Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Why do I get hungrier when I eat more vegetables?

Are you eating plenty of fat with your veggies?
I get hungry quickly after carbs with no fat.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
When I read these boards, there is a lot of discussion of how much food one has to eat if one is trying to go Zone and Paleo, in terms of green vegetables. When 4 cups of spinach is one block, you have a huge, HUGE plate of veggies to finish in front of you in one meal!

But I find after finishing these huge plates, I'm actually hungrier--ravenously hungry--after than I was before my meal. I can't figure it out. I'm eating broccoli, spinach, kale, green beans, very healthy, green, cruciferous stuff, and in huge, huge quantities. But I find if I skip the carbs altogether or substitute in fruit, I'm less hungry and stay less hungry than if I'm eating these "good" carbs. Has anyone else had this experience? Is my body just crazy?

I should note, I am doing IF/Paleo/Zone, and I only restarted on Sunday (the previous month being sabatoged by holiday madness). However, whenever I've been eating healthfully I have found this pattern to be the case.
Emily, how much fat are you eating? Log on Fitday for a few days, post your log.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

My profile is here (WFS). I'm doing 13 blocks. Just pay attention to the past two days, as that's the diet I'm trying to maintain. In previous attempts I either didn't log consistently or was trying different things than what I am now.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I've felt a bit similar. I think it's mostly psychological.

A bit of fruit helps.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
My profile is here (WFS). I'm doing 13 blocks. Just pay attention to the past two days, as that's the diet I'm trying to maintain. In previous attempts I either didn't log consistently or was trying different things than what I am now.
E;

Numbers don't look bad at all. For the 8th, break down was appx, 39F/25C/31P and on the 9th, 39F/22 C/36P, so;

not sure of your intake of those nutrients per meal, also not sure of your daily energy needs. You might need to take in more calories. Only you will be able to decide.
Are you getting good quality sleep, say 8+ hours??

I'd keep carbs where there at, increase fat a tad, also increase calorie intake, get a more sleep.

Just my two cents.

BTW, forget the low fat yogurt with low calorie sweetener. Find a more natural brand or just realize that yogurt is liquid candy.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Right now I'm at about 25% body fat, I'm trying to cut that so I figured 13 blocks would be a good estimate.

I have to admit, I'm not getting as much sleep as I should. Maybe 6-7 hours a night. I have to get up for work at 5:30 and have a class that runs until 10pm, so it makes proper sleep difficult.

Dropping the yogurt is a good idea. I was keeping it in as a source of potassium, though--do you know whether Greek-strained yogurt has as much?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

Bananas might be a good sub/add in for the potassium.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Sean McMaster

Profile:

Yum, bananas. Like a big, squishy, potassium-replete candy cane.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Emily Mattes

Profile:

But aren't bananas high-GI? I used to do bananas, but switched to yogurt because it was a lower glycemic index.