CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:
patella tracking laterally (kinesio tape?)

So after dealing with some mechanical snapping and popping for a while I finally went to the PT and found out my patella is tracking laterally pretty bad on both sides.

Got all the info about foam rolling lateral thigh/IT band, doing all the VMO exercises, and stretching everything in general. It was pretty evident my VMO was pretty weak. (Broke my left patella last summer so the who leg atrophied pretty bad, VMO never really redeveloped apparently.)

The one thing I'm curious about is proper bracing and/or taping for accelerated recovery. I've looked for videos online and all I could find was taping the knee for a medially tracking patella, which seems a lot more rare. I figured the placement would basically be reversed on the knee.

My real question is how can I tape my knee to effectively accelerate the rehab? Should I do what they do in this video on the opposite side of the knee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLlYg4fqYw WFS
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Troy Peterson

Profile:
Re: patella tracking laterally (kinesio tape?)

Going thru a similar situation with my right knee. I'm not using tape/brace on the knee. Just focusing on strengthening vmo (which is coming back) and exercises to essentially re-train my leg how to work properly.

I've probably been dealing with the issue for a while until the body said 'enough' (and bursa sac didn't want to be rubbed anymore by stray kneecap).

Staying off any impact exercises like running, squatting. 2x/week to chiro/PT and exercise daily on my own.

Good luck....and see what Steven Low has to say.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I too have a small bursa on the leg that the patella was broken (lots of trauma when then knee hit the bottom of a lake while jumping in from like 35ft).

Sounds like we are in similar situations, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can online to reduce PT visits. Seems like a lot of the stuff is very doable on my own and would make more sense to just go back in like a month for a checkup.

And I'm hoping Steven sees this. He seems like he's knows about everything knee/leg/hip/back related.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

If ya haven't read all 5 pages already then wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

More stuff you can do to help.

Regardless, that is one taping method that works fine. Here's a couple others (youtube "patellofemoral taping") wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMJBHBiZjCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkTVtzFmFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEwTZrlGHxg

I would suggest playing around with them to which one makes you feel the best when moving the leg. Obviously, this does NOT replace your rehab work, but it can help improve proper activation patterns especially if you are concious of squeezing your VM/VMO every time you move.

For VM/VMO best thing you can do when doing those exercises is to jam your fingers or palm into the muscle. Helps stimulate a better contraction + mind-muscle connection. Really squeeze it for 3-5s at the end of TKEs, SAQs, or quad sets with the finger/palms smashed into it.

Do not ignore improving ankle and hip mobility.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Steven. I know the taping doesn't replace the rehab but I knew it was a useful tool in relearning movement and muscle activation. Been doing small step-ups and TKEs, etc, along with foam rolling the IT and vastus lateralis.

My only other question then if I plan to use tape is the under layer of tape necessary? And how long can I leave it on? Saw a $12 roll at a local sports store and thought it'll probably last a few weeks.

Thanks for any response in advance.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Some tape is pre-tape. Basically, specific tape that sticks to the skin well. Then you have other specific tape that adheres to the pre-tape better. The pre-tape is basically a second skin, then the tape on top of it allows you to manipulate the patella into a better position.

If you get generalized tape you may not need it.

You can leave the tape on all day. I would take it off for the rehab work though obviously so you can reteach your body what you need to do within the assist.