CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Bianca Martinez

Profile:
Im so weak

Hi everyone, I have been doing crossfit for about 6 weeks now. I have been thin my whole life, and outside of playing soccer in high school, I am a couch potato. I am by far the weakest person at the box. I can't do a push up without a box, I cant to a pull up with a band (I just jump). It is really sad. I know with time things will change, but damn it's hard to come dead last or not even finish sometimes. I also have asthma which doesn't help. I really do not want to quit.... any words of encouragement?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Alex Stafstrom

Profile:
Re: Im so weak

DON'T GIVE UP!

The strength and everything will come in time. You just got to push hard and dig deep. I played college football (DIII) and going in as a freshman I was 177 lbs and never really touched weights before, I was just tall and had decent hands
(I was a WR). By the end of the year I was closing in on 200 lbs, and no it was not the freshman 15/20. I put on 20lbs of muscle; just because I did all the workouts and never gave up.

I'm an asthmatic also so I understand where your coming from. You just gotta keep pushing through. The only way to work on your conditioning is to keep pushing your limits.

So just keep at it and it will come
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Kate Dixson-Clark

Profile:

I'm also on the thin side, have played soccer since I was a kid but have NEVER worked out the upper body. And I am 45 years old. My lifting numbers are "low" but I keep at it. (Although yesterday was a pure running WOD and I was the fastest female in at my box. Happy to be "good" at something!)

Tonight was a snatch....last time, I could barely manage 45#, tonight it was 65#....

I started back in April with CF and jumping pull-ups and am now able to do one unassisted! I use the thinnest band for any WODS with pull-ups.
It is slow going but just keep at it--remember it is not a competition with anyone else but YOURSELF. Keep telling yourself that it is you, and only you.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

What you're experiencing may be humbling, but it is completely normal. Prepare to be DFL for a long time. Prepare to have days where you don't scale appropriately and you DNF. It's going to happen.

What will happen is you will make steady improvement and get better at everything FAST - IF you out in the time and do the work. Show up, work hard, don't worry about beating anyone but yourself, and amazing things will happen!

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Dan McManus

Profile:

Shouldn't need encouragement bro, how week you are should motivate you to bust your arse!!!!

Just work and work and work man
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Kelli Talaska

Profile:

Hey, you start where you start, no shame in that. The important thing is to keep at it, and you will get better and better. I would recommend keeping good records of your workouts, so you have some tangible evidence of your improvement, because things will probably continue to seem hard for quite some time.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
Paul Vize

Profile:

Bianca,
Hello from a fellow new CrossFitter.
Dont get discouraged you are doing more than the person lying on the couch
I do box jump pullups..so what eventually the real ones will be easy :-)
Hopefully the community at the box youre in will encourage you..just keep going

Paul
Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca Martinez View Post
I really do not want to quit.... any words of encouragement?
Yes measure you lifting changes in %. If your bench press 3 sets of 5 at 40 pounds then 2 weeks later do 45 pounds you have made a 12.5 % increase. This is a huge gain.

With your build the body weight stuff will come fast. Box jumps, burpees, running, pull ups, push ups, sit ups and so on.

Weight stuff will be slower. Anything with a barbell, kettle bells, wall ball shots, sled drags and so on. While it may be hard in the beginning this is what will benefit you the most.

On the weighted stuff scale the weight so you finish around the class average. When you start being faster then the class average add a little more weight.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Don't sweat it. I'm fairly new to CF also. For a guy my age, compared to the average guy, I'm in pretty good shape. Still, I go to CF and get destroyed by girls... and guys that are tons older than me. I still smile through the workouts and especially when I'm done because I know I worked hard, and I'll do better next time.

The whole fitness thing is really about slow progress. I doubt you're going to be competing in the CF games next year... so take your time. Push yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit each workout, and be proud of yourself. You could be sitting on the couch, but you're out busting your ***.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Maggie Collister

Profile:

I started CF in April, and anything related to speed or upper body strength has me finishing at the end. To this day, if there are burpees, ugh, I'm just embarrassingly behind. The other day, we did a combo of bear crawls and broadjumps with burpees and I just sucked it. I think it took me twice as long as the others. I do pullups with two bands. I do "step ups" onto boxes (I'm afraid to jump). I do push ups on my knees. I still get in awesome workouts that are changing my body.

If you stick to it, you get better. You get stronger and faster. If you quit, you don't get stronger or faster. I think a very good idea for you is to track your personal performance so you can see your improvements against yourself. Just because you are last, doesn't mean you aren't improving and doesn't mean you will always be last. I have also noticed that the people are good have been working very hard for a long time to get good.

So stick it out, you'll get better and it's awesome that you keep trying. Don't get discouraged!