CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Woman spends $800 per YEAR on food/sundries for family of four

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/sm...es-budget.aspx (WFS)
http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/ (WFS)

This woman spends in one YEAR for four people (and a dog) approximately what my wife and I spend for TWO people (excluding our cats) per MONTH.

The downside? She's buying complete crap most of the time. She does her own gardening, gets fruit from friends, buys meat at Target, triples up on coupons, stockpiles when she gets great deals, and many other techniques... but she's not against a free lunch at McDonald's when it's available. Her blog is downright wince-inducing, when she starts crowing about the pizzas and wings she snagged for only $6. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if she was still eating better than most Americans, due to preparing so much of her own food.

Still, in this era of increased awareness over what we spend, she has some valuable things to teach. I'm not going to compromise over the quality of my food, but I could be better about looking up coupons for cleaning/grooming supplies, etc.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:
Re: Woman spends $800 per YEAR on food/sundries for family of four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/sm...es-budget.aspx (WFS)
http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/ (WFS)

This woman spends in one YEAR for four people (and a dog) approximately what my wife and I spend for TWO people (excluding our cats) per MONTH.

The downside? She's buying complete crap most of the time. She does her own gardening, gets fruit from friends, buys meat at Target, triples up on coupons, stockpiles when she gets great deals, and many other techniques... but she's not against a free lunch at McDonald's when it's available. Her blog is downright wince-inducing, when she starts crowing about the pizzas and wings she snagged for only $6. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if she was still eating better than most Americans, due to preparing so much of her own food.

Still, in this era of increased awareness over what we spend, she has some valuable things to teach. I'm not going to compromise over the quality of my food, but I could be better about looking up coupons for cleaning/grooming supplies, etc.
w o w . coupons = God.
My grandma mails me them She appreciates the theories of 'poor college kids.'
Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

I find it hard to believe but if she does that's pretty cool, although it looks to me like coupons are always for crappy food.....,to each their own I guess.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:

There is no "free lunch" In this case, literally.

Calories cost time, or, if time is limited, money. I haven't done the research, but I suspect for $800 in seeds, and fertilizer, a person could grow enough of a crop to support himself/herself and sell the excess for additional income. If a person lived in a mutual support community, $800 would go even further. The women in this case is one-way community giving program: All the of giving is going to her. She is not donating to other people.

While there will always be ways to squeeze out a living, sometimes a substantial living, by living on the social fringes, i.e. fat of the land. (In western society a person can easily get fat on dumpster diving) it cannot be applied to the population overall.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I took a cheat lunch last week and was appalled at the money I spent and the packaging the lunch involved. 2 pieces of pizza, a Starbucks Frappucino and some "cheesecake deseert" off the salad bar cost WAY more than bringing my own lunch.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I think the thing here is: Time. People place too little value on time.

If I could save $3000 per year by spending an extra 20 hours a week doing all the things she does, should I do it? That's about $2.50 an hour. I'd go deliver pizzas and make the same amount of money in about two months.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Yup - I don't deny that my large grocery bill is in part due to the time factor. Basically I live 2 minutes away from whole foods, and Trader Joes is pretty close to my gym.

Sometimes I make a trip to "Market Basket" which is way cheaper ... but most of the time, I value my time more than I value the savings If I didn't have a full time job and a time consuming gym addiction, I would have more time to check out bargains at every grocery store in a 5 mile radius... (i used to do this a lot when I was unemployed) but as things stand now, I'll just take the hit at the checkout.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Nod. I used to shop at several different stores to get bargains, but it became such a hassle.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Nelson A Mitchell

Profile:

+1

It used to be an adventure to go find a bargin, but learning some small tricks i have been able to reduce the food bill a lil bit,(now i just need to find a good butcher...)
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Victor Amuso

Profile:

Just posted an article last night about saving money while eating on the zone. Having a good meat market is a must. Fruit stand is helpful as well.

Here is the article if anyone is interested:
http://virtualcrossfit.wordpress.com...the-zone-diet/

Chris Stroud will also be putting together something soon.