CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Deidre MacIntyre

Profile:
Question ACL Reconstruction...should I cancel?

Hi Everyone...
I booked a trip to the Dominican awhile ago now but I just found out that my ACL Reconstruction Surgery is going to be only 7 weeks before my trip. I have a 6 hour plane ride and will be in the Dominican for 2 weeks. For all of you who have had an ACL Reconstruction, would you have been able to go on this trip just 7 weeks after your surgery and still enjoy it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Deidre
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction...should I cancel?

7 weeks post you are still pretty iffy on your leg. Youll be babying it, might have some pain, stiffness and swelling. Im betting Id feel be pretty unstable just walking on the sand and wading at 7 weeks enough that I might avoid it.

3 months is the magic time when the new ACL is tough to start rehabbing it hard. Youre still not cleared for wakeboarding, waterskiing, dolphin riding or some other things you want to do on vacation, but you could go and have fun without worrying so much.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Gayle Malinowski

Profile:

I think 7 weeks is cutting it too close. I agree with Caz about the 3 month mark. If rehab goes well, that's the time when you get the okay to start doing more fun stuff. Also, you wouldn't want to inadvertently do something that could mess up your graft.

I had ACL reconstruction done 2 years ago, and I recall that by the 7 week mark, while I was able to walk okay, there was still a fair amount of fluid/swelling in the area. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with a 6 hour flight.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:

What's the question? Should you cancel your vacation or the surgery? What's your activity level now?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Luke Hitt

Profile:

That depends on the severity of your injury and the length of time on crutches. I have torn the ACL in both knees on separate occasions, but each time I also tore cartilage and meniscus as well. Those require more time (6 weeks) on crutches. If you have only torn the ACL, you may only be on crutches for 7-10 days. What everybody else said is true about some soreness and the need to rehab, if you have been off of crutches for 4-5 weeks before vacation you should be fine. Work with your Phys Therapist and make sure you keep doing exercises while you are down there though.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Deidre MacIntyre

Profile:

THe question is should I cancel my Surgery. It is my twin sisters wedding so I really can't miss the trip. I am very active now. I am a personal trainer and an aerobics instructor so I am in pretty good shape.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Heidi Schlichting

Profile:

I drove 2300 miles across the US at 7 weeks post-op. Part of it were rough and I was stopping to move/stretch/walk every 2-3 hours. I would not have wanted to sit in a plane for 6 hours, no question.

I am guessing you can't readily re-schedule because of something with the way that Canada's health care system works. You say you are fairly active now, so postpone the surgery if you can continue doing the things are want and you aren't going to do more damage to the knee.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

Postpone surgery!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Jeff Chi

Profile:

A main concern is the possibility of a blood clot forming after your surgery or sometime while your in the air due to the high altitude. My OS recommended that I not fly for a while post-surgery but didnt specify an exact length of time. In my humble opinion, make sure during the first two weeks post surgery you take your ibuprofen and ice like a maniac to thin the blood and reduce swelling. R.I.C.E. it hard. Continue to ice like a maniac...you just want to reduce swelling as much as possible so you can begin your exercises and get your quad firing. For the flight youll prob want to get up and stretch a couple times. As far as DR, youll probably be able to walk reasonably well, but anything outside of that is not a good idea. Swimming and jogging on the sand to Chariots of Fire are a no go, sorry!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Deidre MacIntyre

Profile:

Thanks for the response. I know I should probally postpone the the surgery I just really want to get my knee fixed as it has been such a long time having to deal with it.

I am on a wait list to be called in if there are any cancelations so maybe something will come up there. My doctor will be using an allo graft so the recovery is suppose to be a little easier because I won't have to recover from 2 surgeries, only one. Maybe that will make a difference.

Thanks everyone...

Deidre