CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Tariq Kassum

Profile:
A heartwarming ending

Here's the story of something that ended well, and a suggestion.

In October of last year I developed moderate bilateral arm/shoulder pain that was only present when doing pullups. It felt like an overuse injury but after months of not doing pullups it was still present. I had no trauma, no visible marks, etc - just pain on pullups in both shoulders and inner arms. Rest wasn't helping.

Went to see an orthopedic surgeon and he too was kind of puzzled and said it seemed like an overuse injury but probably a relatively exotic one. He thought maybe latissimus dorsi tendonitis. Before you beat up on the guy, note that this is a terribly difficult thing to diagnose and the majority of the work those guys do is on stuff that is more obvious. Also, he's the team doctor for the NY Giants so I had the feeling he knew what he was doing.

Discouraged, I started searching the internet for advice on overuse injuries. A tennis website, of all things, led me to some quasi-scientific work on "trigger points," which sounded like total BS to me but I figured I might as well give this a shot. I have a hefty science background so naturally I am pretty skeptical, but what the heck? So I got a tennis ball and every night used it to release the points that hurt.

Lo and behold, within two weeks I was fine. This could just have been due to the waxing and waning nature of injury, but I did feel that the tennis ball work seemed to help.

So here's the suggestion - definitely look at using a tennis or golf ball or something else to release sore and tight spots that are the epicenters of overuse injuries. I am glad I did.

TK
Old 04-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Brock Jones

Profile:
Re: A heartwarming ending

I have a lacrosse ball that I keep on my desk at work for just this kind of stuff. After trying one out, I also bought a theracane (w/fs). It's a little cheesy looking, but it's really help me work out some of the crazy knots that CF seems to generate from time to time.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah... ART actually works.

And yes, their site(s) look quasi-scientific.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
James R. Duwve

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Yeah... ART actually works.

And yes, their site(s) look quasi-scientific.
I'll ditto that. I swear when my PT uses ART on me I feel as though he could be a interrogator for the CIA. But, I always feel so much better after the tears clear.

Jim