CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Andy Gann

Profile:
powerlifting on a broken toe

Anybody have experience squatting and/or dead lifting on a broken big toe? What about cleans?

I started SS 5 days ago and have had a great time until whammo ... i stoved my big toe against the carpet after I tripped over my laptop power cord and I'm pretty sure it's broken.

Part of me says - suck it up, sit back on your heels and go for it.

Another part says - you'll compensate for the lack of stability and might throw yourself out of whack.

My gut is telling me to try it on Monday and see ... if the pain is too bad then figure something else out.

Any thoughts OR advice?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
James R. Duwve

Profile:
Re: powerlifting on a broken toe

Andy,
From my experience there is not much you can do about a broken toe. However, when I feel like one is broken I buddy tape it and that tends to mitigate the pain. Most of my experience is with broken or jammed toes from BJJ. However, I still did all the WOD's.

Good luck with it.

Jim
Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I had a busted middle toe, not sure if it was broken, but hurt like nuts. Two days later I just went out and skated (speedskating) on it, no problems. In doing starting strength and in speedskating, you never want to be on your toes anyhow, so it shouldn't be an issue. In speedskating, you want to go as far as the back part of the ball of your foot, but in starting strength, you should be on your heels the whole time, so you've got even more "wiggle room".

I'd say try it and see what happens. You might even try working out barefoot to see if that helps relieve some of the pressure (if you have to tape it especially). It all depends on you and how you feel.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

Thanks guys - Monday was pretty tough but it hurt walking more than it did lifting. Power cleans were a little tentative with the stomp after the jump.

However, Monday night most of the bruising went away and luckily it only hurts when pressure is applied to the top portion of the toe.

I buddy taped it on Monday but not on Wednesday and it didn't seem to make too much of a difference so I'll just leave it as is from now on.

Matt - you are right - I should be heels/middle of the foot for my lifts. This could be more of a blessing than a curse in that respect as it dictates the famous '*** back, knees out, drive up w/ hips' that is necessary for good squat form.

Thanks alot!!