CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
i've taken some time to try and search some threads on coconut oil and couldnt really come up with a sufficient answere, nor any articles or studies that could lead me to understanding why/how coconut oil is good for you...

i have the understanding that coco oil and palm oil have the highest amounts of saturated fat (oil wise). So if anyone could take a moment to kinda of explain why and how coconut oil is so good for ya..i've tried it and loved it, i now just want to know the facts behind it...thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

Profile:
You need saturated fats to metabolize Omega-3's properly. Also coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids, which are good for increasing metabolism, supporting the immune system, etc.

Here's some links:
http://www.coconutoil.com/research.htm
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...conut_oil.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...l-studies.html
http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/coconut_oil.htm
Old 10-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #3

Profile:
Great stuff here Yael.. Its just funny, because in my nutrition class, we just went over the last class about how coconut oil and palm oil are on the avoid list, of course because of its high saturated fat intake. It will be fun to bring this in to the instructor and show him a whole other side to the story....of course ill give you credit for the research yael :biggrinthumb:
Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
LOL, and blame me when your teacher spazzes out?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
There is actually very limited and inconclusive research into the benefits of coconut oil. I view it as a good addition to anyone's diet, but no panacea.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Jared Buffie

Profile:
My wife is on a coconut oil kick right now. She claims that it is the only oil that doesn't switch to a trans from when heated to cooking temps. Someone may want to look into that.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
She claims that it is the only oil that doesn't switch to a trans from when heated to cooking temps. Someone may want to look into that.

To create a trans fat you have to not only heat the oil but add pressurized hydrogen gas and a nickel catalyst. You don't convert oil to trans fat simply by cooking it.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
She's probably referring the the fact that due to its saturated molecular makeup, it's less likely to go rancid (undergo oxidation) at normal cooking temperatures.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
You OXIDIZE unsaturated fats during coooking, which is also undesirable. As Charlie said, you can't magically convert any kind of fat or oil to trans fat just by heating it up. This is why coconut oil is desirable; It's almost completely saturated, making it incredibly resistant to oxidation, and therefore safe to cook with. It is also beneficial due to it's antimicrobial and antiviral properties. If you're on a paleo diet and avoiding fatty cuts of meat, then I would say that coconut oil is essential for getting adequate amounts of saturated fat.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #10

Profile:
so when the unsaturated fat begins to oxidize, due to heat, is that when it turns to trans fatty acids? For example just yesterday i used macadamian oil to cook with for my veggies....is this a no no??am i getting this right??