CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Jason Smith

Profile:
My best friend does not follow the zone/paleo/mdiet and eats what he has deemed "healthy" - e.g. steak, potato, and bread.

He is a commercial pilot (captain) and went for his 6 month physical today and tested 147 blood sugar. He has to be tested again tomorrow and if it is high he loses his medical (which allows him to fly) until he can convince the FAA he can control his blood sugar.

I told him to eat 3-5 ounces of chicken and some dark green vegetables for dinner tonight - plain with nothing else but water.

Is there anything else he can do to drastically lower his blood sugar in less than 15 hours?

The good news is regardless of what happens, I think he will start to listen to me about what actually is a "healthy" diet (which I have formed my opinion starting from this site!!).

Thanks,
Jason
Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
I would prefer that he fail and really get his blood sugar in control, as opposed to bottoming it out for the test. We like our pilots to not pass out during take off, landing and switching on the autopilot.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Jason Smith

Profile:
Actually, I agree and so does he.

He is required by law to have the test every 6 months - so if this isn't a one time issue - it will continually pop up (he has never even been close before).

(Message edited by Js137 on October 24, 2006)
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
Cool. My wife had gestational diabetes. She managed it quite well with diet and some fraction of a tablet of some prescription med (globuride or something like that, that was probably not needed anyway). She actually lost weight during the 3rd trimester with a healthy baby...she wanted to keep it up post pregnancy, which is one of the reasons we became "Zone-ish" in our diet choices. It seems to me there are a lot of benefits you can get without going totally nuts following the diet to the "T".
Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Meat and veggies is a good start. If he can get to a supplement store, he can pick up some supplements that will help to lower his blood sugar. ALA (R-ALA is even better), vanadyl sulfate, bitter melon, etc. Hopefully this helps...
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Jason Smith

Profile:
Thanks for the comments. He is actually active and fairly thin (maybe 12-14%bf). I know that excess weight doesn't help with blood sugar, but in his case I think it is diet (although his diet is reasonably good by the FDA standards :-( ).

I actually will be suprised if it is indeed high tomorrow given the fact that he has not changed anything and has been tested every six months for the last 8 years or so, but stranger things have happened! This is why they are giving the extra test to make sure it wasn't just a fluke test.

Honestly I don't know what I have learned that is more critical to my health since coming across Crossfit - fitness advice or diet (it very well could be diet).
Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
exercise....deplete glycogen....eat meat and veg only after...go to sleep...his blood sugar levels whould be real low...and he'll have no energy to boot probably.

Long term exercise and nutrition is always the best way...there is no such thing as overnight health.

Or...could of been an error with the testing lab....it happens.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Another thought - are you positive that the blood sample was taken after an 8-12 hour fast? If he ate something, especially carbs, too close to the test, it would certainly elevate his #s.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Jason Smith

Profile:
He ate 1.5 hours prior to the test.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:38 AM   #10
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Bingo! If any of us ate carbs (even a modest amount) 1.5 hours before the test, our blood sugar results would return elevated! He needs to make sure he is fasted (8-12) hours prior to the test! If I were him, I would let the person/group performing the test know that he ate so soon before the test. They should have made it extremely clear that eating before the test is a big no-no!