CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Andrew Chong

Profile:
Entering army, need help with diet

I'll be enlisting in the Singapore Armed Forces on the 10th of Feb.

What I've been told by both my common sense, other crossfitters in the box, and whoever's been in the army is that most, if not all meals, will be heavy on rice, moderate in vegetables, and little on meat.

Since following a paleo diet is out of the question, I realised that i could only try to 'zone' my meals. With that in mind, I'm thinking of bringing in protein powder and/or some protein bars. Preferrably just the protein bars. However, i have little to no experience on this.

Can someone recommend some good brands.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Entering army, need help with diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Chong View Post
I'll be enlisting in the Singapore Armed Forces on the 10th of Feb.

What I've been told by both my common sense, other crossfitters in the box, and whoever's been in the army is that most, if not all meals, will be heavy on rice, moderate in vegetables, and little on meat.

Since following a paleo diet is out of the question, I realised that i could only try to 'zone' my meals. With that in mind, I'm thinking of bringing in protein powder and/or some protein bars. Preferrably just the protein bars. However, i have little to no experience on this.

Can someone recommend some good brands.
A diet of rice, vegetables and a little meat should be nutritionally adequate providing you eat enough to maintain energy balance so it's unlikely that you will require protein supplements.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Mike Watson

Profile:

I don't know if the Singapore Military is anything like the American Military, so this might not apply. We were not allowed any kind of supplement during training. What the feed you is what you get.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

True story, here in the states for any and all training schools you are squirrled away from any supplementations. Its an equalizer of sorts I guess -not that the avg. joe compares to the crossfitter joe-

While I was over in Korea the ROK army follows a very similar format on their diet. Lots of rice, kimchi and little bulgoki which is beef. They are pretty resilient guys in their own right and their diet keeps the lower enlisted in pretty good shape. You should be fine with eating what meals are offered, when I went through training I ate my share of food and whatever else you could grab day and night smoking in Infantryland.

Good luck with your training man.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Andrew Chong

Profile:

Alright. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Erik Harris

Profile:

If it is anything like the U.S. Army just eat everything you can fit in your mouth without suffocating. It has only been two years for me but I recall a two minute eating period in which I may have tasted some chicken and green beans at one point and oh yeah powerade.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Miles Tanner

Profile:

I only have expearince in the US Marine Corps but ya... During your basic training your diet more less goes out the window. They will feed you what they see fit. Just eat it all with the amount of activity you will be doing any food is good food. After basic training and maybe your schooling you can resume your diet and eat as you see fit.