CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Moran Bentzur

Profile:
Paleo diet in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010101611.html (wfs)

Crossfit is named more than once as a major driving force for the Paleo diet.

I'm not tryign to :stir: but I find it ironic that this is coming out when Crossfit inc. is trying to push towards the Zone while the affiliates seem to be happy to push Paleo and seeing great results from it. I've seen paleo challenges popping up in several affiliates with the new year. Where are the Zone challenges? I know the diets are not mutually exclusive. Still, I find that the buzz coming from the affiliates puts much more emphasis on paleo. Maybe it's just my own bias.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Michael Maurice

Profile:
Re: Paleo diet in the Washington Post

I am not sure HQ is pushing Zone any more now than times in the past.

Read Fitness in 100 words and you will find the diet is Zone.

If you watch the videos and read the PDFs in the Journal dating back to 2007 and earlier everything was Zone (Granted Nicole Carroll does refer to Paleo/Zone in her video). There are even videos of Robb Wolf pushing Zone.

If the entire nation changed to eating Meats and Vegetables, Nuts and Seeds, Some Fruit, Little Starch, No Sugar versus the crap most people eat, many of the healthcare issues currently challenging us would be a non-issue. It is no surprise the 30-day challenges had as much success as they did.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I am not sure HQ is pushing Zone any more now than times in the past.
The recent changes in the crosssfit nutrition seminar seem like a stronger lean towards zone to me.

Quote:

If you watch the videos and read the PDFs in the Journal dating back to 2007 and earlier everything was Zone (Granted Nicole Carroll does refer to Paleo/Zone in her video). There are even videos of Robb Wolf pushing Zone.
So my question stands: why is that we see HQ pushing the zone and the affiliates pushing paleo? Why is the message not filtering through?

Quote:
If the entire nation changed to eating Meats and Vegetables, Nuts and Seeds, Some Fruit, Little Starch, No Sugar versus the crap most people eat, many of the healthcare issues currently challenging us would be a non-issue. It is no surprise the 30-day challenges had as much success as they did.
I have no doubt about this.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Tony Sutton

Profile:

It's a good question about why there is no concensus. I am reminded of this level 1 cert video I watched and the trainer was relating different diets to different ways to say deadlift. And they asked the class which was the best. The class indicated paleo and I cannot remember the deadlift picture they drew but the instructor said they were all wrong.

The point is knowing them all to make you better in the long run. He used himself as an example. At home he likes to zone hard, on the road he eats more paleo.

But it seems that a lot of people on the nutrition forum point out, its what works best for the individual. So one has to create something that works for them. Atleast thats how I think about it. I just eat.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
But it seems that a lot of people on the nutrition forum point out, its what works best for the individual. So one has to create something that works for them. Atleast thats how I think about it. I just eat.
Listening to Robb Wolf that seems to be his point too. He isn't shy about pushing an unweighted/unmeasured paleo as he believes it works for the majority of people. But he says in some cases you may need to go WAM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Ted Sheedy

Profile:

Quote:
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness in 100 Words
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.
That's Paleo, not Zone.

And replacing Wolf w/ Sears in the Nutrition Certs after the BB Summit blow-up w/ Castro (which was, among other things, Wolf not supporting Zone) indicates a stronger preference for Zone by HQ than they've shown in the past, relative to Paleo.