CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:
Anybody else feel like the Paleo is a pale representation...

I mean really. Who are we kidding. Cutting out the fat? Has to be lean game meats?

Actually, I don't mean to come off as a prick here. I always wake up cranky in the morning and probably shouldn't ever participate in anything involving words. But I am curious where I could find some research that anthropologists have presented, not in this kock-a-mamey modern politically correct nonsense, a diet and what it consisted of only lean meats, no satchy-fats and no corn. No corn? Sorry South America =P

But yes, please point me in the direction. And not that Robb Wolf guy.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:
Re: Anybody else feel like the Paleo is a pale representation...

what? paleo is all about the fat. our ancestors ate organ meats for pete's sake, why not have a ribeye or two a couple times a week?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Dustin Ma

Profile:

Yeah I'm not sure where you read no fat.

But here's an article MDA just posted up

WFS http://www.marksdailyapple.com/paleo-diet-research/
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

"That Robb Wolf guy," knows what hes talking about.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Nope, no corn, even in South America.

Corn was domesticated in about 4000 BC. The paleolithic era ended with the development of agriculture in about 10,000 BC.

You might want to find out what the paleolithic diet actually is before you attack it. There's a very detailed discussion of the modern Paleolithic diet, including lots of references to the archaeological and medical literature, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet (safe link). And there's a review of what the archaeological record shows about the diets of Paleolithic people at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoli..._and_nutrition (safe link).

Katherine
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Francis Romano View Post
what? paleo is all about the fat. our ancestors ate organ meats for pete's sake, why not have a ribeye or two a couple times a week?
Organ meats aren't high in fat. While I agree with you that ribeyes are great, I don't see your argument... Paleo IS high-fat, using it as the primary source of energy, but not necessarily animal fat. Paleo man would have, as Cordain says, eaten much leaner meats than we do. While I'm not making a judgment on whether or not saturated animal fats are good/bad in excess, I believe that to truly emulate paleo man, we shouldn't be eating tons of fatty meats. I, personally, don't think it's bad to do so (and love me some bacon), it's just not strictly paleo.

Anyway, to the OP: Do some research. Nowhere does paleo "cut out fat." It's more of "cut out the crap," "add more protein," and "eat more nuts, seeds, and veggies." And, for a brief history of the world, NO ONE ate corn during the Paleolithic Era. So yes, sorry, South America, that you've since become corn-dependent. And sorry, Asia, that you've become rice-dependent. Sorry, Europe and North America, that you're wheat and potato -dependent.

Sorry, world, that you've royally ****ed up your diet. But that's how paleo is.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

Why not Robb Wolf?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

this is the biggest scandal since the ridiculously high amount of carbs in the atkins diet
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:

Jason - not Robb Wolf because he's what made me write this post. He was talking about how you have to have all the fat cut out of the animal protein you're eating to simulate the gamey meats that the paleo peOepLE's were eating. He said mainly fat came from nuts.

Well reading this reminded me about when I started researching the paleo diet a couple years ago and how they had all said the same thing back then (good science then right? - that means it hasn't been disproven). Since then I have learned much more about the human body (spent two semesters thinking I was going to get my MA in it) and just don't see the logic that people 10k years ago would think, 'i don't need the fat of the animal I just killed. I need the fat from a nut I have to work my @$$ off to get at a single one, and I'll do that 50 times a day." My brain chewed on that for a bit and realized I don't know WHY all these research papers go along with the idea that paleo people only ate gamey meats so I wanted to find out. And thankfully I came here!

Sklar - I know I need to do some research, that's why I came here! =) I had no luck in getting to original information and just ended up with chewed out white papers that seemed created to prove a point. Where do you get that info? I'm going to check the wiki's that were posted in a sec. But what info have you read that backs up the idea that they didn't eat lots of animal fat? everything I've read and learned about traditional diets include TONS of ALL the fats from an animal.

But in regards to the grain/rice/corn bit I've generally agreed with that, I just want to finally put dates to it all and see.

Katherine - THANKS!! You understand =) I'm going to read them now!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 02-14-2009 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: NO AOL-SPEAK!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:

ok two seconds into reading and I read this

"This dietary approach is a controversial topic amongst nutritionists[11][12] and anthropologists.[7][13] Currently there is little evidence supporting its use. "

so wikipedia tells me that anthropologists haven't found any actual evidence supporting what mr. wolf is writing. THAT's what I'm trying to find.