CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Bernard Gauldin Jr

Profile:
Question Tuck Planche help.

My arms are perfectly straight when doing a tuck planche.
How can I get my arms like this guys

(Safe Link (as safe as youtube is)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiv-koGjmi8

I' know I can hold a tuck planche but just need to get my arms straight.
Any Suggestions?

(P.S. my arms are long enough)

Also how close are you guys to the planche?
And how long did it take you to reach that?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: Tuck Planche help.

You really need to decide to keep them straight. No matter what. Straight arms. You will be tempted to bend and settle on your delts. Don't allow it. Push through your shoulders and fully extend your arms. It will make it harder to hold. You may need to work this quite a bit to get it. Patience and hard work is necessary.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Roger,

I actually kind of find it's easier to push my body up with straight arms than with bent arms.. if I "cheat" and bend my arms, my body gets much lower and is harder to hold up. Maybe that's just me, and once you've actually done it with locked arms, you can immediately tell the difference, I wasn't sure before..

My question is, and I think what's in my head is probably right, if I can't really hold my body too level from the ground, but am still pushing as hard as I can in a tuck planche with straight arms, is it good to just hold that for 60 seconds, in addition to other dynamic strength work? I'd heard static holds increase strength about 5º from where you were holding, so I thought I'd gradually be able to raise my body until I can hold an "advanced tuck" planche by doing that sort of training.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Bernard Gauldin Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
You really need to decide to keep them straight. No matter what. Straight arms. You will be tempted to bend and settle on your delts. Don't allow it. Push through your shoulders and fully extend your arms. It will make it harder to hold. You may need to work this quite a bit to get it. Patience and hard work is necessary.

Sorry I didn't say this clearly I meant
My arms are completely vertical (Not leaning forward)
Evertime I lean forward I fall.
How can I get this right?
I'm thinking its flexiblity in my wrists but how can I get them more flexible?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Gauldin Jr View Post
sounds like you have a balance problem. any forward leaning will have to be complimented with a lengthening of the body. from tuck planche if you lean forward you will first have to straighten out your back and then if you want to lean forward more you will have to push your legs outward (like the guy in the video).
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Gauldin Jr View Post
You must not have your legs/back up very high, or you're defying physics. Your hands are your center of balance, if you have a lot more weight on once side or the other, you'll fall over... or have really strong fingers. Your shoulders should be in front of your hands to compensate for your legs being behind them.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

test your wrist flexibility...
if you sit or stand and bring your palms together--like a prayer position--then slowly lower your hands down as the elbows lift up, how much angle can your wrists take without separating the hands. Bare in mind this is without any weight on them. If they don't make at least 90 degrees, then I'd suggest working with building wrist flexibility...
hold some yoga poses like downdog or handstand up against a wall and lean into it so you get full extension on the wrists, and just hang out! To get even more flexion in the wrist, place blocks against the wall, and come up into wheel pose.(http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/wheel.htm) use the beginners variation. Im a yoga teacher and clients often complain of 'stiff' wrists at first, but are fine two weeks into taking yoga.

ALSO, crow pose, in yoga is helpful for practicing planche...thats how I am practicing..lets race, to see who can get it first!

SS
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #8
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Sarah,

The crow pose (looked it up :P ) looks a lot like a "frog stand" that Roger or Coach Sommer have talked about. It doesn't do a whole lot for the strength you need to hold a planche, imho, and if you can already balance all right on your hands, I don't think it can teach you much at all.. try holding a ball/tuck plance instead.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Quote:
My question is, and I think what's in my head is probably right, if I can't really hold my body too level from the ground, but am still pushing as hard as I can in a tuck planche with straight arms, is it good to just hold that for 60 seconds, in addition to other dynamic strength work? I'd heard static holds increase strength about 5º from where you were holding, so I thought I'd gradually be able to raise my body until I can hold an "advanced tuck" planche by doing that sort of training.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean your torso is low in that your hips are well below your shoulders? If so, then you should work on pushing off the ground to get your hips level with your shoulders and hold that for 1 or 2 seconds, then do it again, and again and again until you can hold that a while. If you're holding. Another drill is to start in a tucked V-sit then press as far as you can toward a tuck planch and try and stop at the top momentarily and then return to the tucked V. Rinse and repeat.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean your torso is low in that your hips are well below your shoulders? If so, then you should work on pushing off the ground to get your hips level with your shoulders and hold that for 1 or 2 seconds, then do it again, and again and again until you can hold that a while. If you're holding. Another drill is to start in a tucked V-sit then press as far as you can toward a tuck planch and try and stop at the top momentarily and then return to the tucked V. Rinse and repeat.
You were write about my meaning (sorry for the poor wording). Thanks for the advice, I have parallettes, and I've been trying your second suggestion recently (I was hoping I was on the right track ). I support myself in a tucked-sit then try to lift my waist up as high as possible and hold that as long as possible, and repeat until I've held that position for about 60s. Thanks again.