CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Chris Bate

Profile:
Knee pain... tendonitis?

Hello,

I've been on SS for a little over a month now, and I've just noticed today that I have a slight pain in my knee when I squat down. Once I hit about parallel I feel a strange tightness (painful) between my knee cap and my shin bone on the front-left of my right knee. I've also just noticed a popping noise (!!!).

I have never had a single problem with my knees and needless to say am very nervous. I will go see my school's athletic trainer tomorrow to hear her opinion, but I would be very thankful if anyone might have an idea of what's going on.

Again, I just noticed this today. I did heavy squats yesterday as normal with no problem. I did some power cleans today in the morning, but I didn't notice any pain until many hours later this afternoon.

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Knee pain... tendonitis?

Stretch your IT band, foam roll your whole legs, possibly do some work with your VM/VMO, work on all types of hip/ankle flexibility/mobility.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Chris Bate

Profile:

Thanks, I don't have a foam roller but I did a lot of stretching and it seems to be better today. What is a VM/VMO?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Micah Tanner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bate View Post
What is a VM/VMO?
VMO = vastus medialis obliquus. It's the tear-drop shaped part of the quadricep on the inside of your knees.

The VMO is implicated in many cases of knee pain (patellar-femoral pain syndrome, knee tendonitis or tendinopathy, etc.) due to a strength imbalance with the vastus lateralis (part of quadricep on outside of leg). The imbalance is thought to result in pain due to mal-tracking of the patellar via the VMO not being able to do it's fair share of the pull on the patellar or via an improper "firing" sequence of the muscle...blah blah blah...

I blah blah blah because while I think a weak VMO is a symptom in my knee pain (my VMO is smaller and less dense on the side my knee hurts) I don't believe its a cause in and of itself. In other words, focusing purely on strengthening your VMO is probably going to shortchange yourself. I'd go with what Steven said and work your VMO along with everything else from your hips all the way down to your toes. I get great results with my knee pain when I work at strengthening everything, stretching everything, and perform soft-tissue work on a very frequent basis. The problem is if I stop for even a few days, the pain comes back.