CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Coach Riptoe's Magic Back Cure

Hey Guys!

I tweaked my back doing Saturday's CFT - I was trying for a PR squat (a pathetic 105 kg, I'm afraid), and as I started to come out of the hole (it was a full squat), I hunched over and stupidly kept on ushing till my face was beet red. I felt the pull in my lower back immediately - not horrible pain but clearly uncomfortable. Finished the CFT with reduced weights and took it easy Sunday and Monday.

I found this link in the forum: http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700, and I think I'll spend the next two weeks following it (though I'll add in the metcon WODs and CFWU toward the end of this week to keep from losing all my conditioning!)

Today, the pain is - exactly as described - "blurred." It's still there, but less specific. So I'd say I'm ready to do 3 sets of 25 squats with an empty bar. Tomorrow I'll start adding just a little weight and keep on upping the numbers by very small increments.

Has anyone else followed this advice? Forthe sake of posterity, I plan to describe my results here inthis thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Mike Gray

Profile:
Re: Coach Riptoe's Magic Back Cure

Geeze.

Perhaps I should mention that doing 75 squats with a 45# barbell isn't exactly a snooze in the spring sunshine. My back feels fine, but my thighs are toast and I'm really going to have to watch my elbow and wrist positioning or they'll be a mess. (That's good for me, I expect. I actually know how to set them correctly - as per SS - I just forget a lot.)

If there's one thing I'm really wondering about this strategy, it's whether I'm actually excercising my lower back enough - whether DLs might not be more effective at such a low eight. But I'll stick with it.

Anyway, Day One down, 13 to go.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thanks, Mike. I have never seen that forum before and I'll be cautious of this injury from now on.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting method of rehab. Pity all my injuries tend to be joints rather than muscles.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Mike, if it your lower back that's hurting you, why not do very light deadlifts or good mornings instead of squats? Rip suggests using an exercise that targets the particular muscle that is hurting.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Just curious....what are you DLing?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Henry Whitaker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Hey Guys!

I tweaked my back doing Saturday's CFT - I was trying for a PR squat (a pathetic 105 kg, I'm afraid), and as I started to come out of the hole (it was a full squat), I hunched over and stupidly kept on ushing till my face was beet red. I felt the pull in my lower back immediately - not horrible pain but clearly uncomfortable. Finished the CFT with reduced weights and took it easy Sunday and Monday.

I found this link in the forum: http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700, and I think I'll spend the next two weeks following it (though I'll add in the metcon WODs and CFWU toward the end of this week to keep from losing all my conditioning!)

Today, the pain is - exactly as described - "blurred." It's still there, but less specific. So I'd say I'm ready to do 3 sets of 25 squats with an empty bar. Tomorrow I'll start adding just a little weight and keep on upping the numbers by very small increments.

Has anyone else followed this advice? Forthe sake of posterity, I plan to describe my results here inthis thread.

I believe that Rip's injury proscription is for muscle belly tears. Most injuries (as Rip points out in Starting Strength I believe) are joint problems, not muscle-belly tears (although the surrounding muscles do swell in response to the joint issue). I am not a doctor, but I would bet that your back injury is a joint injury.

Bottom line: I would see a doctor to make sure that you indeed have a muscle tear before continuing with that rehab program.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Mike Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Whitaker View Post
I believe that Rip's injury proscription is for muscle belly tears. Most injuries (as Rip points out in Starting Strength I believe) are joint problems, not muscle-belly tears (although the surrounding muscles do swell in response to the joint issue). I am not a doctor, but I would bet that your back injury is a joint injury.

Bottom line: I would see a doctor to make sure that you indeed have a muscle tear before continuing with that rehab program.
Thanks for the tip there, Henry. My back feels pretty much like it does the day after a lot of heavy DLs - only a good deal more that way. I'm pretty sure it's a muscle thing. It also wasn't irritated in any way by the squats this morning; it does seem to be following Coach Rip's description very closely. Should anything back there starts to feel off. I'll stop immediately and get it checked.

This isn't a bad injury; in fact, I could probably just ignore it a few more days and them leap back in. But I'd like to try out this rehab method - and I'd also like the take the opportunity to give my squat form some TLC - after all, if I hadn't messed up on form, this wouldn't have happened.

Someone asked what I DL - my pr is 160kg - though that was not with good form. With passable form I can get up to 120kg-130kg. I've never had anything worse than a bit of stiffness afterwards. 100kg is my pr for full ROM squats - I've had it since last summer, and I'd never had any back trouble before (though I've strained my groin).

So I'd say I'm on the right path here - though I agree with Emily, that DLs might be more to the point. Perhaps I'll subscribe to the other forum and ask what the Man Himself recommends. For now, since I got the strain doing squats, I'll stick to them.