CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Trampas Hutches

Profile:
Lumbar Spine issues

Hey all just joined this forum so I am a little green with everything. I have been doing CrossFit for 3 weeks now and I am showing very nice gains. However, the main reason I joined is I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease of my L3, 4 and 5 Lumbar Vert. at the ripe old age of 31!! My spine doc told me to do exercises that strengthen your core...am pretty sure CrossFit fits into that category and then some. My other alternative was surgery. These past 3 weeks have been grea,the back is alot stronger and less painful. My only issue is my doc said absolutely no running, well being the competitive guy that I am, I am ignoring that and so far no ill-effects. I am worried down the line this might become an issue. My instructor is always on me about my back and he is very attentitive. He leaves the running up to me. He calls me a sick man because I take the running and I never say no. Should I be doing something other than running like instead of 400m run a 800m bike? Or should I just man up? I am 6'6" 260 and could convert about 15% of my weight to muscle...hopefully that will help with my back also??!! I appreciate all comments.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Re: Lumbar Spine issues

When your doctor says no running, does he mean no running at all or no long-slow distance stuff (which is what most people equate with "running")?

Also, why would running be worse that deadlifts and squats? I have no idea and I am genuinely curious.

howard
Old 03-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

He said no running period. The reason he gave me which most people already know that when you run it exerts 6 x's your body weight with each foot strike. His suggestion after he said core strengthening was pilates or yoga. Yeah the dead lifts etc make me wonder but my instructor is on me about proper form and I am on LIGHT weights and SLOWLY working my way up.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Interesting. Thanks for explaining it.

howard
Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Doug Holland

Profile:

Trampas,

Substitute the elliptical for running. Keep your back straight and let the legs glide with no up and down motion to the body.

My Dad is a Chiropractor and he recommends this to ones with lumbar issues.

Doug
Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Adonis Alejandro

Profile:

Have you tried getting evaluated by a chiropractor? Alot of times they can correct the misalignment that is causing your DJD and disc problems. Most of the time any joint problem is caused by a muscle imbalance problems unless the injury was brought on by trauma. If you can maintain your alignment while rehabing the weak muscles you should be golden. Utilizing a foamroller would be good to for lossing up the tight muscles
& breaking up scar tissue from the injury. You are too young to get surgery or have these problems. A chiro who uses a cold laser might be able to help you out. By the way I'm a chiropractor and former Olympic weightlifter so if you would like find an alternative to surgery let me know I can more likely find you somebody.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

What does your running technique look like? If you're striking with your heel first.. yeah, that's horrible for your joints and back.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Terry ONeill

Profile:

I just turned 61 & have degen disc disease (lumbar & cervical) for 30+ years as a result of various sports injuries.

I would heed your doctor's warning re: running. I know it made my condition worse over the years. (no one ever warned me) & now I'm looking at surgery.

I would strongly recommend non impact cardio (swimming, biking, rowing etc.).
Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

A huge number of males have DDD, including me since about your age. L3-4 and C6-7, with bone spurs.

My back has hurt for as long as I can remember, so did my dad's and his dad.

I have never missed a day of work from it, I may have had days when I moved like RoboCop but I made it.

Pain peaked when I was in my mid to late 30's, I am now 45. I listen better than I used to when it is acting up but I still do Oly lifts and DL etc. I took it easy for a while in my early 30's and it got much worse very quickly, getting back to strength work brought it back in line.

As far as running there are times I avoid it but still run some. DON'T HEEL STRIKE!

If you want to run go to a POSE clinic or something like that. I spent a period of time running barefoot. I often run in Chuck Taylors and only let my heel gently TOUCH the ground otherwise everything is on the ball of my foot. I still suck at running but I do it and survive.

Keep in mind though that I don't "run" as a regular activity only occasionally. I don't like it enough to run for the pleasure of it just for the variety. I much prefer C-2 or walking.

Last edited by Craig Van De Walker; 04-06-2008 at 07:25 AM..
Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Wayne Sauve

Profile:

Trampas

I am 46 years old. I broke my back in 88 and right now my L2 & L3 are 30% discinigrated. And I do not have degenerative disc disease.

Crossfit has definitely helped and the pain has subsided somewhat. I do run 20-30 kms a week, because my job requires me to.

Different doctors will tell you different things, but your body will let you know. If it hurts to run, do not do it. Row instead. Craig’s advice is bang on with a POSE clinic.

Good luck