CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
Eric Durante

Profile:

Any advice on using CF & being pregnant? My wife just started to use CF & is pregnant. What can she do & not do?
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
How far along in her pregnancy is she? What kind of exercise did she do before crossfit?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Eric, congratulations!

Hmmm.

Boy, this is a big topic, and I'm about 99% unqualified to offer anything. But that's never stopped me before . . .

I'd probably urge keeping up the CF (particularly in the first trimester), but with gradually decreasing intensity, letting condition, size, and very attentive self-monitoring be your guide(s). (Sort of obvious.)

One other thing that might not be so obvious . . . my understanding is that as the mother gets into the 3rd trimester, a number of hormonal changes begin (duh). Specifically, some of those changes cause a relaxation and loosening of connective tissue throughout the body, and particularly in the hips/pelvic area (in preparation for passing a possibly 8- or 9-pound child through a formerly very narrow passage).

One thing this implies . . . you may want to lay off the deep and/or weighted squats in the 3rd trimester . . . you may end up stretching out those ligaments in a permanent fashion, possibly inducing hip instability in the future.

(At least, this is the reason that the doctors give my wife and me to explain the laxity/instability in her pelvic region . . . or possibly they're just bull****ting us because they don't know.)

Best of luck, and congratulations again.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
Eric Durante

Profile:

My wife, PT, is very early in her 1st trimester. She was just starting CF & tailoring it so she could complete the WOD. She is an avid runner who usually runs a 20-30 mile week.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
Nick Massman

Profile:
My wife has had 2 children on crossfit in the past 3 years. the squating and back extention with the pad at mid thigh made a huge differnce on delivery.the first one was caesarian due to breach baby.but the 2nd was 1:45 of labor and home in 2 days the core strength she achieved was the difference. Good luck
Rgs,
Nick