CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym Slope

Because of this, I will probably end up measuring my garage slope soon.

I lift with my left side to the garage door, because I dont have the space to do back to garage door. Been going for about 2m onths now, no issues noticed.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Bro, the slope in your garage is perfectly normal. Worrying about it, is not. Don't sweat the small stuff this is why people laugh at crossfit because people drive themselves crazy worrying about if a peanut is paleo or which way the earth spins so they can orient their rower properly. I promise you that you will be fine just building your platform and liftting without calling in an engineer.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

The slope in a garage is perfectly normal, lifting on a sloping platform is not.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Derek Gardner

Profile:

If its 2" over 8'... it might onlynbe 1/4" from your toes to heel.. I dont think thats very much to worry about it. And if that does concern you, can look at it that it might help you keep the weight on your heels!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Its not a bmx ramp he is going to be lifting on for gods sake. Millions of people lift in their garage everyday and have for years way before there was ever a crossfit to worry about and way before anybody worried about building a platform in the first place. If you are a competitive athlete near the top of your game, fine worry about wether your hand chalk is organic or if your lead paint is impeding your performance. If your a dude working out in your garage after work, just work out and stop worrying about all the ridiculous things that will never matter to you in the first place because you are cleaning 135 and hope to get 140 by the end of the month.

Of course those weights are arbitrary because again if you are only competing against yourself and your bro's you are no where close to being affected by if your garage floor has a little slope in it. You have far bigger fish to fry in your performance gains than that.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #16
Brad Petri

Profile:

Well I'm an engineer so this is the way my brain operates, detail oriented. I could have dealt with the slope, but I would prefer not to worry about it when I'm doing power cleans with 275. But maybe thats just me. So I used the method of making shims with large cardboard sheets and its just about dead level. We will see how in compresses over time.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

And thats fine, there is nothing wrong with dealing with the slope if thats what you choose or makes you feel better I was just pointing out that its perfectly ok to not deal with it as well if we are talking weekend warrior type stuff like 98% of us.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
Brad Petri

Profile:

It really wasn't that tough to do. I will keep ya'll updated how it holds up. But I have a solid start, I'm sure there will be updates down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gymphoto2.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	8168  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Looks like a great set-up congrats!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
You have far bigger fish to fry in your performance gains than that.
This has nothing to do with performance gains. It's about the annoyance of having the bar start to roll off the platform and out the door after every lift.