CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Paleo/zone Block 30 day challenge

Mandie- What are your goals with the challenge?

If you're trying to lose weight, 11 blocks and 4 days/week of CF will stress your body and cause it to store fat.

If you're trying to get stronger, 11 blocks and 4 days/week of CF will get you NO gains.

If you're trying to get in the best shape of your life, 11 blocks and 4 days/week of CF will make you stop and hate everything about both programs.

The main reason women tend to fail at Paleo AND at CF is a LACK. OF. CALORIES.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

You asked for feedback, and we are giving it to you. It is true that everyone learns through trial and error, but some people on these boards have repeatedly seen the same errors and they like to help newbies avoid wasting time.

My perspective is if you are 1)weighing and measuring everything, and 2)not eating enough and therefore getting hungry, then you will see the next 30 days as a "diet," and you will not be successful. Even if you lose some weight, you will not enjoy the process. If you don't enjoy something, you don't stick with it. That's just how life works.

For what it's worth, I lost over 40 lbs by doing CrossFit and eating clean, and I never weighed or measured a thing. There is a time and place for weighing and measuring, but if you are trying to do a 30 day challenge, then focus on food QUALITY. If you eat enough of the right foods so that you are never hungry, it makes the process a whole lot easier.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Mandie Ekstrom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
You asked for feedback, and we are giving it to you. It is true that everyone learns through trial and error, but some people on these boards have repeatedly seen the same errors and they like to help newbies avoid wasting time.

My perspective is if you are 1)weighing and measuring everything, and 2)not eating enough and therefore getting hungry, then you will see the next 30 days as a "diet," and you will not be successful. Even if you lose some weight, you will not enjoy the process. If you don't enjoy something, you don't stick with it. That's just how life works.

For what it's worth, I lost over 40 lbs by doing CrossFit and eating clean, and I never weighed or measured a thing. There is a time and place for weighing and measuring, but if you are trying to do a 30 day challenge, then focus on food QUALITY. If you eat enough of the right foods so that you are never hungry, it makes the process a whole lot easier.
I appreciate everyone's feedback. That's why I asked for it.

Is there something you would suggest as an improvement in the quality of the foods I have chosen? I thought I did well there?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Personally I think your food choices are fine. Depending on what you weigh now, and where you want to be, you should consider almost doubling your intake.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandie Ekstrom View Post
Is there something you would suggest as an improvement in the quality of the foods I have chosen? I thought I did well there?
Sorry, what I meant was to ONLY focus on food quality (Paleo) and to eliminate food quantity (Zone) for the first 30 days.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
Mandie Ekstrom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Sorry, what I meant was to ONLY focus on food quality (Paleo) and to eliminate food quantity (Zone) for the first 30 days.
OK, I see what you're saying. Would you reccomend cutting the oats too?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Oats aren't Paleo, but they're far from the worst thing you could be eating, especially in the small quantity you've got listed. If you had any severe gluten allergies they could be problematic since they often have cross-contamination from other foods, but for most people it's not an issue.

However, if you want to be able to say you're eating 100% Paleo for a month...well, that part is up to you.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #18
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to clean up your diet, I don't think oats contradict that goal. I only had 30 days where I ate what most people would say is "Paleo." After that, I just considered myself to be eating "clean" because I didn't have an issue eating whole corn, beans, potatoes or a few other things that make the Paleo police unhappy.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Mandie - Just to echo what everyone else here has said, Zone is far too low calories for someone crossfitting. Most crossfitters have to modify zone to 3-5x fat blocks to get by at their activity level. PLEASE read the following testimonial from Nicole Carroll documenting her somewhat painful introduction to Zone: http://www.nextgenerationcrossfit.co...xperience_.pdf (wfs).
Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Lisa Butch

Profile:

This is all very interesting to read. My gym just started a 60 day Zone/Palo challenge and the CrossFit Journal article our trainer gave us to read said a large woman should eat 13 blocks a day. I am currently 290 pounds, so I figured I should definitely eat the 13 blocks over the 12 or 11 for medium and small women. I figured out what to eat for today for a 13 block day and out of curiosity I put it into a calorie tracking website to see how many calories there were for the day and it was only 1,500 calories. I thought that seemed awfully low for a woman of my size, even though I am trying to lose weight, especially since I do CrossFit 4-5 times a week. Do you guys think I should stick to the meal plan but add some extra fat back in? The fat block sizes are rediculous for some items. 1/4 a teaspoon of sunflower seeds? How do you even measure that? Maybe I will keep the carbs and protein the same and then eat reasonable portions of the fat - ie 1/4 a cup of sunflower seeds instead of 1/4 a teaspoon. Or 1/4 an avocado instead of a tablespoon of avocado? Does that sound reasonable?

It is funny that this is a current topic and exactly what I came here to search on. Definitely prompted me to make my first post. Thanks in advance!