CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:
Re: Anybody else feel like the Paleo is a pale representation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Nope, no corn, even in South America.

Corn was domesticated in about 4000 BC. The paleolithic era ended with the development of agriculture in about 10,000 BC.

You might want to find out what the paleolithic diet actually is before you attack it. There's a very detailed discussion of the modern Paleolithic diet, including lots of references to the archaeological and medical literature, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet (safe link). And there's a review of what the archaeological record shows about the diets of Paleolithic people at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoli..._and_nutrition (safe link).

Katherine

I'm not going to knock Paleo as a whole, but many people on here do make assumptions as to what was eaten in the "paleolithic era". Corn wasn't domesticated, but it was still available, and more than likely still eaten.

Another common misconception is that all "paleo" diets way back when were heavily meat focused.. yes we liked to hunt and eat meat, but in certain areas of the world, archaeologists have shown that meat was not as readily available, and it was much more of a plant based diet...
Another point is that fruit was much easier to just "gather" than vegetables prior to organized farming, however, many on here really disagree with eating much fruit at all.

Reindeer were raised in Northern European Paleolithic communities for both milk and meat.. but milk is sometimes frowned upon as "not paleo"

Again, my point is just that while the paleo idea is great, and probably works amazingly well.. the fact is that some posters on here just don't have the background as to what Paleo man actually ate.. heck even leading archaeologists can't agree.

as long as we stay away from cannibalism, which also happened in that time period, i think we're good

Last edited by Matthew Eucalitto; 02-12-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gallagher View Post
this is the biggest scandal since the ridiculously high amount of carbs in the atkins diet
Do you have that in writing =)

What do you know? You can't just post something like that and not give more info!!!! =)
Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eucalitto View Post
Again, my point is just that while the paleo idea is great, and probably works amazingly well.. the fact is that some posters on here just don't have the background as to what Paleo man actually ate.. heck even leading archaeologists can't agree.
Thanks for the post. I wish I could find an anthropologists book or report on their findings. I know where I live in Korea, yea the coastal areas had tons of fish - but 10k years ago it was almost impossible to have a diet that had more than 15-20% daily animal protein. There just isn't that much life in the mountains to support any sized population that way.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Francis Romano View Post
what? paleo is all about the fat. our ancestors ate organ meats for pete's sake, why not have a ribeye or two a couple times a week?
Actually, the official "paleo diet" from cordain is all about eating lean meats and getting fat sources from other places. this is where mark from mark's daily apple disagrees with him, he promotes the "primal" lifestyle. he is an advocate of the animal fat whereas cordain is not.

just throwing in my $0.02 worth
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaysonn Pathak View Post
But what info have you read that backs up the idea that they didn't eat lots of animal fat? everything I've read and learned about traditional diets include TONS of ALL the fats from an animal.
They ate all the fat they could find, but they couldn't eat fat that wasn't there in the first place. Wild venison on the hoof has (then and now) *much* less fat, and different kinds of fat, than commercially raised feed lot beef. Animals (and humans) that have to forage for themselves and run from predators are much leaner than animals that stand around stuffing their faces all day.

Katherine
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eucalitto View Post
I'm not going to knock Paleo as a whole, but many people on here do make assumptions as to what was eaten in the "paleolithic era". Corn wasn't domesticated, but it was still available, and more than likely still eaten.
Although in much smaller quantities. Do you have any idea how much wild maize it takes to make enough flour for *one* tortilla? Grain consumption on the level of modern man's just isn't possible without domesticated grains.

Katherine
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
Patrick Brown

Profile:

Think about what you would have been able to hunt and gather in Africa 400,000 years ago. It seems to me, that is an accurate representation of what the paleo diet is about. Which is your initial question, right?

Has to be lean game meats because all that was available was lean game.

Corn evolved in the new world and our ancestors lived in Africa for about 96% of the paleolithic era.

I think paleo is less about eating exactly what out ancestors were eating, and more about avoiding the "new" foods that have been developed.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #18
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Brown View Post
I think paleo is less about eating exactly what out ancestors were eating, and more about avoiding the "new" foods that have been developed.
While he was not talking about the paleo diet, this is pretty much Michael Pollan's point in the book "In Defense of Food."
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
Cody Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
They ate all the fat they could find, but they couldn't eat fat that wasn't there in the first place. Wild venison on the hoof has (then and now) *much* less fat, and different kinds of fat, than commercially raised feed lot beef. Animals (and humans) that have to forage for themselves and run from predators are much leaner than animals that stand around stuffing their faces all day.

Katherine
This is exactly what needs to be understood and is more than likely why Wolf recommended trimming fat
Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Gary Turner

Profile:

I don't follow the paleo diet.

And I have done alot of research into nutrition.

But...

There is alot that rings true, from my research away from Paleo, that points to much of paleo being quite good for you.

There is, obviously, alot of research that cutting out 'cr*p processed food' and instead eating more natural, nutrient dense food is good for you.

There is research about the genetic adaptation to food taking thousands of years. For example, look at the aboriginal problems with alcohol that Australia is suffering from.

But, I've also found research that shows that people shouldn't necessarily eat from just a particular time period, but also attribute that to your genetic history's location. For example, Northern Europe 10,000 years ago had a different diet to South America. Therefore depending on your genetics background, you may be intolerant to certain foodstuffs, or no getting optimum nutrition.

Also some people have adapted better to changes than others.

For example, I get my clients to try dairy free, and some feel great results from a reduction or cutting it out, while with some clients there is no effect.

I also get my clients to try going wheat and gluten free. 2/3 clients will drop 2-3 kg of fluid in about three days from going 'clean', and probably 4/5 clients say that they have much more energy and vitality.

We keep food and exercise diaries, combined with weight/body fat/water percentage readings to help us to identify the dietary change effects.

Overall I think the paleo diet is quite good. Ultimately it is a system of eating, a 'product' for want of a better word, that may not be optimum for everyone. But it speaks alot of sense in my researched opinion.

Just my opinion!

Smiler