CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Cody Miller

Profile:
Question about Carbs w/ the Anabolic Diet...

On this diet, you are restricted to a maximum of 30 grams of carbs per day during the week in order to turn your body into a "fat burning machine", but does your carb intake have to be that low in order for this to happen? I know alot of people zone or paleo with 50-65% calories from fat along with eating fruits and vegetables and still believe they are using fat as fuel more than ever.

So, my question really is: Does the body switch over to using fat more as a fuel source if you are consuming a diet that is, say, 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs?

I was thinking about trying the Anabolic diet but def. maintain paleo habits. I cut my carbs back about two weeks or so back and last thursday I started feeling really sluggish. I should also note that I have been taking in between 3,500 and 4,200 calories per day with the macronutrient ratio stated above. I crossfit six days a week and I am a college athlete as well. I'm 6'2 and weight roughly 210.

It seems that the anabolic diet will be lacking in some key nutrients with such a low carb. intake (vitamin c for example). I really want to give it a try. Interested in hearing about the elevated car intake, roughly around 100-130 grams per day. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Jeremy Bennison

Profile:
Re: Question about Carbs w/ the Anabolic Diet...

The carbs on the Anabolic Diet should come strictly from dietary fibers. Which will be found in your nuts, peanut butter (natural), and vegetables. The reason being your body is going to use ketones from fat for its main energy source meaning your burning body fat for energy. With the acception of your 24 hour carb up on the weekend. The carb up will allow you to replenish glycogen levels in your muscles, for your weekly workouts.

Here is an example of a similiar diet that i used when i shredded down to just under 6% b.f.

For a 200lb man:

MEAL #1
5 whole eggs (make sure to buy OMEGA-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good OMEGA-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the Omega-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
"Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
"Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites

When you are calculating your diet just remember your macros

Fat 9 cals. per gram
Carbs and protein 4 cals. per gram.

500 calories under matience equates to about 1 pound lost a week
500 calories over maitence equates 1 pound gain per week.

im not sure if this helps, but feel free to ask me anything ive been studying nutriton for a few years now, on my own.

One more thing don't let this diet get you down, you are going to feel very flat at times. Work through it and focus on your conditioning

Jeremy
Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Read this thread (shameless plug for my own experiment)
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35868 W/FS

The good Dr talks about this. The basic issue is everyone has a different carb tipping point. Some people need the less than 30, some can get by as much as 100 and still be on the diet. You need to make the conversion first (2weeks), let your body adapt (2-3 months), then you can start adjusting and tweaking it.

If you are going to do the diet though, you need to "do the diet" and make the switch. I did what you are doing for about a month before committing, and that is go paleo and still getting about 150g of "clean" carbs a day. I felt awful and had zero energy, even though I was eating a ton.

After deciding to go for it and make the switch (less that 30g a day) I felt incredible after the indoc. Still going and not looking back...

-Ryan

Last edited by Ryan Lynch; 02-09-2009 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: added WFS
Old 02-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

"I cut my carbs back about two weeks or so back and last thursday I started feeling really sluggish."

AD'ing or not, most folks will either feel sluggish for a few days or feel great for a few days and then totally bonk after greatly reducing their carb intake all at once.

My advice from personal experience?

Do the Anabolic Diet as RX'd or don't mess with it. Don't try to make your own Zonish/Paleoish AD. Doing the AD involves limiting carbs to 30g/day during the beginning phase and any time you're not on a carb up timeframe. So that's what you need to do. Otherwise you're doing something else.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Cody Miller

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to make a paleo diet out of the AD diet by any means. My biggest question: Is it really healthy? Seems like a lack of many vitamins and antioxidants unless they are supplemented. I'm at 7% bodyfat now as it is. I'm not looking to cut up much but mainly looking to see how it affects performance and energy and possibly put on a bit more muscle. I'm in the exercise science field so I'm always interested in new things and very willing to try. I only recently began eating paleo about three weeks ago and that crash in energy didn't happen too long ago so I must have hit that "bonk" that you all were speaking of. I went less than 30 grams carbs today and felt great all day, so we will see. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Cody Miller

Profile:

Another thing, I believe on a website called stronglifts.com, they were giving tips for the anabolic diet and it said to eat veggies with every meal. Does veggies such as broccoli and greens not count toward your carbs? I know it has alot of fiber but I didnt know. A cup of broccoli has about 9 grams of carbs so are you limited to only three cups a day or what? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Personally, no amount of brocolli, green beans, lettuce, or any non-starchy green veggie will knock me out of keto, which is what AD is shooting for. But stick to the indoc period rules for 2 weeks and tweak from there, IMO.

At a freakishly low BF already, I'll be interested to see your results. Several of my friends have fallen in love with this diet, and I enjoy it as well, but none of us are in the single digits yet.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Cody,

You mentioned that you're a college athlete. Are you currently in-season or coming up on it? If so, I don't think I'd be experimenting with a totally new diet.

If you're in the offseason, then go for it if you want. However, since you noted your bodyfat...you need to really follow the guidelines and eat a lot of (no/low carb) food. I'm ADing the other direction (fat loss with minimal muscle loss), but it will be important that you eat at the recommended levels since you're already lean to maximize muscle gain.

I swear I am seeing muscle gains despite averaging around 1,500-1,800 calories/day on the low-carb days. Scale is holding steady, but waist measurements are dropping and my arms are very obviously leaning out (veins starting to pop). I can't imagine it will continue like this, but I'll take it while I can!

Last edited by Jeff S Johnson; 02-09-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
Cody Miller

Profile:

Thanks Jacob and Jeff. I appreciate the help and consideration. With my activity level I have been eating close to over even over 4000 cals for a long time even on paleo. My metabolism is pretty good I'd say. Lately I've been hitting on the head of 3,700 or a bit more sometimes as stated by the AD diet. Only carbs I'm getting are from almonds and a little broccoli. Been keeping track on Fitday lately. Great tool. Do you still carb load on the weekend during the introduction phase?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Miller View Post
Thanks Jacob and Jeff. I appreciate the help and consideration. With my activity level I have been eating close to over even over 4000 cals for a long time even on paleo. My metabolism is pretty good I'd say. Lately I've been hitting on the head of 3,700 or a bit more sometimes as stated by the AD diet. Only carbs I'm getting are from almonds and a little broccoli. Been keeping track on Fitday lately. Great tool. Do you still carb load on the weekend during the introduction phase?
No carb load until you've got at least 12 days of <30g carbs/day under your belt.

Watch out for another bad or "bonk" day in that 12. Mine hit at day 9 during virtual shoveling. Man that sucked. Next day I felt fine though.