CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:
Probiotic side effects

I was having some stomach issues last week and decided to try some probiotics to alleviate what was going on. I don't know if they or something else contributed, but my stomach issues went away within about 24 hours. But I've noticed that I'm having a bit of an upset stomach whenever I take them, even with food. It may not be the probiotics, but I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience. FWIW, I bought Kyo-Dophilus brand and I've been taking one in the morning and one at night.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Cody Miller

Profile:
Re: Probiotic side effects

I take a superfood supplement that has probiotics in it and its been upsetting my stomach verryyy bad the past week or so. As a matter of fact, my stomach kills right now. I'm going to stop taking it.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Odd, I make my own kefir and drink it daily. Never had any stomach problems from it. Now the 16 tbsp of flax I had every day for the last 7 days has worked wonders for regularity though!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Im a big Kombucha fan. I drink Synergy Kombucha. Tastes great, low sugar and cals. also has a great probiotic element in it.

- Nick
Old 02-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Leah Turner

Profile:

When I took probiotics they made my stomach feel better! Now they are out of my budget range, or I still would take them. I am confident that the ones I took were high quality. Are you sure about the quality of yours...look into it?

I'm no doctor, but I think that the opposite should have occured for you.

You are suppose to ease into taking probiotics, as with most supplements. Try taking one every other day. Then after one week try one per day. Then after another week try two per day (at different times of course). See if that does the trick.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Martin Lynch

Profile:

This happens sometimes with Probiotics, but it is often a good sign. The first thing you may notice is that the people above who said they have had no problems take Probiotics in liquid form, I assume you're taking them in tablet form (good thing).

If you are only experiencing this pain now and have not been taking the Probiotics long, then it means the Probiotics are doing their job and balancing the flora (sugars mainly) in your digestive system, so after a few days or weeks depending on your diet, you should be fine.

If the problem persists then I can give you a list of other reasons why Probiotics would cause digestive discomfort.