CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Jonathan Plaud

Profile:
I have Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and if anyone knows, it attacks the legs. I used to be a runner and now, I can only take a few steps until they feel like rubber.

Is there any way I can build my leg muscles so I may run again?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Tough question dude, Kudos for doing it.

I dont know about MS and the effects of exercise but I can only imagine any strengthening you do will benefit in many ways.

Good luck and I hope others more helpful will participate
Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
jonathan. i don't think the average person on these boards feels like its within the scope of thier knowledge to answer that. have you done internet searches for info?
i had a client once with ms and she was at a very high function. she just had days of needing to go slow from exhaustion. i know the american council on exercise says to focus on balance training which would help in all areas, but especially the lifts required in crossfit.
maybe a fellow crossfitter who is in that area of medicine will see your post and help out.
-----------------------------

dy try n
Old 05-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I'd go for regular air squats. Do as many or as few as you are capable of, without doing harm to your self – i.e. stumbling or what may be potentially problematic for you. See how they work for you, and if there's progress within a week or so, try to add a small amount of weight, for instance a backpack with a few books in it. See where that takes you, and post again ...

Air squats are doable on an everyday basis, so try a single set on day one, and adjust the volume according to how you feel you live up to it. ... and please proceed with caution :-)
Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
gorm is onto something, but i wouldn't recommend a backpack, as that is not transferable to heavier lifts once you are ready. also, a backpack will throw off your center of gravity.
how about light dumbells, 10lbs each hand to start, held on your shoulders as you would do if you were preparing to do a thruster, or held anchored at each hip bone.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
the squats are a good idea for building strength and to stimulae the nervous system to change.

once your squats begin to come along you can transition to walking by doing box steps. stand on a box and with one foot touch the floor behind you and return. repeat up to 20/leg. switch. focus on control, and maintain knee alignment so center of knee cap is over the big toe or first interspace. you might want to start with a 4" box. go until fatigue, that is cant track knee properly, or just cant do it. when you can do 4 sets each side go up to 6". When you can get to 8" let me know (PM or forum) and we can take it further.

Good luck, if you have a hard time keeping the knee tracking let me know.

BTW: all of the people i know with MS that are still functional have exercised everyday. keep it challenging - force the nervous system to change.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Don't forget deadlifts!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #8
Brian Yoak

Profile:
I used to work in physical therapy my patients that had MS would always benefit from balance training and unstable surface exercise. I would utilize single leg activity, body weight squats, exercise ball (sit to stand w/ w/o weight). I would utilize anything that challenged lower extremity and vestibular balance as well.
It was tough on them and required adequate rest during the session, most of which lasted 60 minutes, secondary to the amount of rest they needed.
My thoughts are---challenge yourself. Your body will tell you when it has had enough.
Question, when you exercise, how is your recovery? How do you feel the next day after exercise?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Jonathan, whatever you decide, be carefull. I've got a good friend with MS. He tells me that the disease attacks the nervous system and weakens it. I would think taxing the nervous system too much would have a negative effect (sometimes he pushes it and pays for it for a few days).

The best advice I can give is call your doctor for a list of therapists or trainers that know about MS and have experience training it. The other advice is diet. Avoid inflammatories at all costs...and read The Zone!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
larry twyford

Profile:
i saw this posted on the injuries board. so, if you want, take a look. it's some suggestions as for when to work out and some other stuff. as it reads my wife has MS and we had and still consult with her doctor, trial and error and research our selves. they are however, just some suggestions that have worked for her.