CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
Kevin Bania

Profile:
Pulled Groin from Split Jerk - rehab?

Looks like I really did a number on myself. My first serious injury while doing CF.

I split jerk with my right foot back, left foot forward.
Cleaned 305, missed the split jerk (would've tied my PR)
Cleaned 305 again, went to split jerk, felt like my right leg popped out and back in. Bailed, went down, howled, gathered myself, realized I messed myself up, cried like a baby.

A fellow coach saw it happen and said my right foot landed crooked, turned in, and my leg buckled and the weight came down uneven (right side low). After a trip to the ER, x-rays showed all bones intact and in the right place. Next couple mornings, right thigh was swollen (dependent edema, my nurse gf says). Adduction is mildly painful, but I can flex, abduct, and extend my right hip fairly ok. No bruising (that's a good sign...or the damage is to some part that's not very vascular).

This happened Friday 5:30pm. Today I did mostly weighted upper body stuff (pullups, dips, standing presses). Scheduling a follow-up this week to determine if I need an MRI.

Has anyone else had a popping or tearing sensation from split jerking or doing anything unilateral? Any other groin pullers with some advice on what might be ok to continue to work on that doesn't aggravate hip adductors?

Much appreciated, folks! Super bummed this happened, I was training to break the state record in the snatch and C&J later this year
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Pulled Groin from Split Jerk - rehab?

Could be tendon tear or muscle belly tear. Exam will be able to determine what muscles are hurt. Go easy until examined for something so sudden and dramatic
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Kevin Bania

Profile:

Good advice. I've been doing ROM movements, unweighted. Seems to be keeping it loose and mitigating soreness. It's also pushed fluid around, as now I have some epic bruising. The whole inside of my thigh from the inguinal line almost down to the knee is yellow with some blue/purple/red splotches up towards the crease. Scheduled an appointment with the VA to get seen and hopefully will get a referral for an MRI. I talked to an athletic trainer friend of mine and he's convinced that something is definitely torn. Looking at a grade 2 sprain, partial tear. Pubis is extremely sensitive/painful to touch around the attachment point for the adductor muscles. I'm thinking I have a long road to recovery on this one
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Kevin Bania

Profile:

MRI results are back.

Near-full thickness tear of adductor longus from the superior pubic ramus. Only a few strands are holding it on. Right before the open, this happens?!?! Just my luck...

Got an appt. to talk with ortho at the V.A. on Tuesday. will update as I find things out.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bania View Post
MRI results are back.

Near-full thickness tear of adductor longus from the superior pubic ramus. Only a few strands are holding it on. Right before the open, this happens?!?! Just my luck...

Got an appt. to talk with ortho at the V.A. on Tuesday. will update as I find things out.
sorry to hear about that stay positive