CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #1061
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Everyone slips up and lets themselves go from time to time. That's what this thread is for, so we can get motivation from each other. Tough love is a good thing. It definitely is about mind over matter and if you're anything like me you need to go 100% STRICT for at least a little while to "reset" yourself. When I decided to do 100 days of strict paleo, at first I was like, well maybe I can have wine every now and then or maybe I can sneak some sushi. But then I thought long and hard and realized I have the type of brain/personality that, once I give it an inch it'll take a mile. Once I have sushi I can rationalize that I've "messed up" for the day, so I may as well eat chicken strips and beer for dinner, ya know? Anyway, just stay focused and stay positive and you'll get back on the wagon! Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #1062
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Somerville View Post
Oh god. I suppose you think that alcoholics have a disease and are powerless to control it as well? Please! Cancer is a disease. Alcoholics just need to stop drinking. They make a choice to continue. People who accept they are powerless over something are basically just saying i'm a weak, useless human being who can't control myself and need to blame someone else for my actions.
wow. Really? they "just need to stop" It's so easy!!! who knew. I think I'll head to an AA meeting and distribute this helpful advice.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #1063
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Whoa, I just read that too, Laura. Tough love is one thing but...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #1064
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Oh god. I suppose you think that alcoholics have a disease and are powerless to control it as well? Please! Cancer is a disease. Alcoholics just need to stop drinking. They make a choice to continue. People who accept they are powerless over something are basically just saying i'm a weak, useless human being who can't control myself and need to blame someone else for my actions.

I quit smoking after 5 years of 30 per day. I didn't use medication, patches or any other gimmick. I made a choice to stop and I did. I refuse to believe that food is more addictive than alcohol or tobacco and I refuse to believe food is more powerful than your own brain when it comes to giving up sugar.
While you are most certainly entitled to your opinions, you should be aware that your opinion is wrong.

Whether or not it is "more additive" than something else is a personal matter.

There is plenty of science on the subject that backs up my viewpoint, starting with the book I linked to and even from "CF-Friendly" writers including Dr. Cordain (author of orignal Paleo Diet book), Mochael Pollan (author of In Defense of Food and Omivore's Dilema) and Dr. Sears.

Please feel free to link to any credible science that addictions do not exist.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #1065
Bryan Tarlowski

Profile:

Does any company make a coconut milk that you can drink alone with a pleasing taste? I'm looking to get some fat from coconut between school or work. Also same story for meat jerky, any good store bought meat jerky?

Last edited by Bryan Tarlowski : 01-21-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #1066
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Tarlowski View Post
Does any company make a coconut milk that you can drink alone with a pleasing taste? I'm looking to get some fat from coconut between school or work. Also same story for meat jerky, any good store bought meat jerky?
I drink the unsweetened coconut milk from "SO Delicious." It's in the refrigerated section with the regular milk. Our big chain grocery store doesn't sell it, but both natural grocery stores (like local Whole Foods) sell it.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #1067
Bryan Tarlowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I drink the unsweetened coconut milk from "SO Delicious." It's in the refrigerated section with the regular milk. Our big chain grocery store doesn't sell it, but both natural grocery stores (like local Whole Foods) sell it.
Thanks! I stopped at Whole Foods today and got myself two half gallons. It tastes really good!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #1068
Randy Hill

Profile:

I used to have terribly high blood pressure all throughout my life.. My diet was crap and exercise was mediocre at best. Ever since Crossift/Starting Strength and 90% paleo (now with dairy for a weight gain phase), it's down to 107 over (something good. Forget the other number). All I know is that the **** works. I wish a doctor would ask me why I think it has changed so much over the last year! I've been eating a ton of saturated fat, cholesterol, etc. Maybe because that's what humans are meant to eat!?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #1069
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
wow. Really? they "just need to stop" It's so easy!!! who knew. I think I'll head to an AA meeting and distribute this helpful advice.
You should. AA has a success rate of about 5% so they need all the help they can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post
While you are most certainly entitled to your opinions, you should be aware that your opinion is wrong.

Whether or not it is "more additive" than something else is a personal matter.

There is plenty of science on the subject that backs up my viewpoint, starting with the book I linked to and even from "CF-Friendly" writers including Dr. Cordain (author of orignal Paleo Diet book), Mochael Pollan (author of In Defense of Food and Omivore's Dilema) and Dr. Sears.

Please feel free to link to any credible science that addictions do not exist.
I never said addictions don't exist, they most certainly do. However, I don't believe that anyone is "powerless" to stop doing something. All these AA style organizations are just cleverly disguised religions. Admit you are powerless and then turn yourself over to a higher power. It's rubbish. People aren't power-less, they are power-ful. Telling yourself you are powerless is as good as giving up your dignity and self respect. I was an addict because I chose to be. I chose to smoke ridiculous amounts. When I chose to stop I did. I didn't shift the responsibility onto anyone else and whinge about how I was powerless and ask "why me?" I wasn't chosen to be an addict, I chose to start doing something I knew was addictive and when it came time to stop I did.

I'm not trying to make out that i'm special or anything, i'm just saying that I truly believe people have the power to change things in their life without meetings and religion and all the crap that goes with it. Giving up something is hard, no one is disputing that, but if you truly wanted to stop then you would.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #1070
Jeffrey White

Profile:

The first step in changing any behavior is to be able to let go of any preconcived notions and just "let go"...part of that is being able to admit WHY you have the behavior that you do.

In this case, admiting what it is you get from food. Understand why it is hard to stop drinking soda, eating fast food, etc.

Yes people are powerful and no one said otherwise.

But what is more defeating to self-confidence? Feeling that you failed because you don't have the "willpower" or understanding and knowing that at the beginning you have bumps in the road because say, you do have baggage, stress and food with the right combination of sugar, salt and fat makes you feel good, even if only for a short time?

You don't have to be religous or see a shrink, but we also have to have balls to accept and understand who we are and why we are that way.

Outside of that, if you did have an open mind and read that book you would undestand that it is very calculated that food companies do make their food as addicting as possible so you want, and therfore purchase more of it.

Quote:
You should. AA has a success rate of about 5% so they need all the help they can get.

I never said addictions don't exist, they most certainly do. However, I don't believe that anyone is "powerless" to stop doing something. All these AA style organizations are just cleverly disguised religions. Admit you are powerless and then turn yourself over to a higher power. It's rubbish. People aren't power-less, they are power-ful. Telling yourself you are powerless is as good as giving up your dignity and self respect. I was an addict because I chose to be. I chose to smoke ridiculous amounts. When I chose to stop I did. I didn't shift the responsibility onto anyone else and whinge about how I was powerless and ask "why me?" I wasn't chosen to be an addict, I chose to start doing something I knew was addictive and when it came time to stop I did.

I'm not trying to make out that i'm special or anything, i'm just saying that I truly believe people have the power to change things in their life without meetings and religion and all the crap that goes with it. Giving up something is hard, no one is disputing that, but if you truly wanted to stop then you would.