CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Daniel Miller

Profile:
I'm trying to incorporate 1 day per week of progressive overload training and have decided on the dead lift as my choice.
Goals: #1: stronger dead lift (above 2.5x bw) and #2 to gain the muscle associated with that.

I found the old 20-rep squat + 1 gallon of milk program with a deadlift twist and am going to give it a shot sans milk.

Anyway, there are two workouts:
-pick a weight you can do for 15 "breathing reps" (between each reps set the bar down and take a few deeps breaths)
Set 1: 20 reps with the above.
Set 2: 15 reps with the above.
Set 3: 10 reps with the above + a little more weight.
-same weight as above
6 sets of 10 reps.

Try and add a little each session. Alternate the two workouts.

I'll try and do 1 per week in addition to 3-5 crossfit workouts. I plan on using the method of 50% every 4th week, then week 12 off.
Does anyone have any advice about this program? How much should I rest between sets? Should I take the next day off or is some GPP work OK? Has anyone tried the 20-rep squat program?
Thanks.
-Dan
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I've tried 20 rep squats but just didn't have the stomach for it repeatedly. Each person's recovery is different, but I would be apt to think that this kind of volume with deadlifts would seriously tax your CNS in a short time. The only way to tell will be to closely monitor your performance and overall well-being. Keep us updated!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I've done the 20 rep squat program and liked it quite a bit. It's very much like many CF WOD in that it takes as much willpower as strength. However, I didn't find that it carried over to my 1 rep max. In order to get to 2.5X BW deadlift, you'll need to do heavy singles or close to it. You might want to look at the ME Black Box method listed on this site. I'm slightly above 2X BW deadlift and I only do the WOD, so your max deadlift will move up, although 2.5X BW might require a bit of specialization. I would be wary of doing high rep deadlifts on a weekly basis. You're asking for an injury.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I am trying to hang some beef on my son and whenever the WOD calls for squats, we do a 20 rep set. I find few things that equal the intensity of a 20 rep program. Based on my experiences with breathing squats, I can't fathom doing 6x10 with my 15 rep max weight. At the end of the 15, I am on the floor looking for the bucket!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Dan,

When I did the 20 rep program, I did a few sets of warmups but only one "work set" balls out. If you're doing that set right, you won't want to do any more. I think it will put weight on you but I agree with Dave; your max won't be much above your high rep. At my best my parallel squat was 340x20, 405x9, and 430x2. Kinda silly, huh? Based on most calculations, my 1RM should have been about 500. (Obviously, my weights would have been, and are, much lower with a full squat.) I also think Jesse is right about the stress of that program. I used to be sore for 3-4 days after and had a lot of DOMS. I also only did low rep deads every other week and subbed RDL's the other. Still, my dead PR is higher now than then (of course, I used to do deads after squats in those days.)

I guess all that doesn't sound too positive but I think the 20 rep program is great if you understand where it fits into your goals and program. Give me a yell if you have any questions.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
Doug Mewhirter

Profile:
I found that 20-rep squats are great, but you can't do them more than 1x per week if you are doing them right. Also, you should only need one set. To really add some "spice", keep your rest to a minimum while you do sets of mil press, dips and pull-ups immediately afterward. You will get a great cardio workout as well as a strength workout!

20-rep squats are primarily used for adding muscle mass, not necessarily strength (although you will get stronger!) If you want to increase your max lift, do lots of singles, doubles and triples with heavy weights (but watch your form!)
Old 06-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Dan,

Check out http://www.westside-barbell.com/

These guys are the masters at power lifting. They know it as well or better than anyone else on the planet.

They will have a lot of information on increasing you deadlift poundage.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Thanks Mike,
After thinking things over today and feeling the effects of yesterdays 45 reps of workout number 1 of 20-rep deadlift program...I'm reconsidering my options.
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Mark Garcia

Profile:
just do 20 reps and that's it.

I could barely drive home after that program. You'll need as much rest as possible when doing that program. Are you trying to add muscle and get stronger?