CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-18-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Lawrence McDonell

Profile:
40 second PR on run.

Just a little brag. I have been incorporating some Crossift style training and heavy strength work to supplement my sports training which revolves around running. Needless to say i have a 2.7km very hilly run that i do from my house to benchmark my fitness every now and then.

After plateauing around 11 and a half minutes a while ago i decided to re test today after improving my dead and squat fairly significantly over the last 3 months. Finished the run with burning lungs and my heart hammering out of my chest in a time of 10 min 40 sec. Wiped off 40 sec!!! I had set myself the goal of taking maybe 10 sec by end of July. I guess I will have to change that. This when i first did this run in took me over 13 and a half minutes and i thought i was pretty fit back then.

Anyway to anyone out there trying to improve their running speed spend a bit of time doing some heavy lifting and watch the results. I have never felt as strong as i did tonight.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Re: 40 second PR on run.

Congrats Lawrence!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence McDonell View Post
Anyway to anyone out there trying to improve their running speed spend a bit of time doing some heavy lifting and watch the results. I have never felt as strong as i did tonight.

One of my favorite coach Rip sayings is along those lines. I think it went something like, "the only thing that long...slow....running makes you good at is long....slow....running. If you want to get better at ANYTHING ELSE, you gotta lift weights."

Congrats on the new PR! You crushed your old time!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Valerie Stewart

Profile:

COngratulations! I, too, am a runner (not a speedy one) but endurance running. Have done a few marathons and a 100km a couple of summers ago. Now, that I"m in cross fit and LOVIN'IT I know that even my slow times will improve. Keep up the good work. I plan on another marathon in Spetember so, it will be interesting to see if I'm now faster. Val.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Stephen Smith

Profile:

That's some nice improvements! I forget who it is who has the signature that says something along the lines of 'If deadlifts are not consistent with your workout goals, then perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your workout goals.'
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Lawrence McDonell

Profile:

True that about the deadlifts. I had never really done them before this year and tentavely recorded a PR of 192lbs. Within three months i have lifted this to 253lbs with a goal of 300lbs by the end of the year. Don't know whether i will get there or when i will plateau but i sure love the new strength i am gaining in the meantime. PS I know these numbers aren't huge comapared to some but I am stoked.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Lawrence McDonell

Profile:

Oh and just to add... my wife went on her first run in a while and said she too has never felt stronger... wait til i have her deadlifting every week hehehe.