CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
Doing Smolov Squat Program while on SS... Anyone ever tried it?

Basaically Smolov is a very very intense Squat program where you squat 3-4 times a week. What if you combined this with SS (but without doing the Squats from the SS Program).

Example: Week 1 day 1 from Smolov = 70% 1RM x 9reps x 4sets, 75% 1RM x 7reps x 5sets, 80% 1RM x 5reps x 7sets, 85% 1RM x 3reps x 10sets

and to this add day 1 of SS, so that would be: The squatting from Smolov, 3x5 Bench, 1x5 Deadlift, 2x8 dips (if not too tired hahah)

Any opinions / experience on this?

links (wfs): http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...squatcycle.htm (this is a better link then the second one)
http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html (this is only used to calculate for the lazy)

Last edited by Nicolas Castonguay; 02-02-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Doing Smolov Squat Program while on SS... Anyone ever tried it?

I don't think it's necessary at all. And possibly a bad idea. I think smolov would be good to break through a plateau, but if you follow SS the way it's suppose to be followed you should be progressing for a long long time. To just start out using smolov mixed with SS 1) isn't SS in the first place, and 2) might be really tough to recover from. I'd follow SS just like it says and then after a few years when your squat numbers are huge and you're having trouble progressing, mess with something else.

Just my unexpert oppinion.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Michael Cooley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Castonguay View Post
\What if you combined this with SS (but without doing the Squats from the SS Program).
Then it wouldn't be smolov, and it certainly wouldn't be SS. Smolov (which I've done) is essentially a squat-only program designed for breaking through plateaus. SS is for novices who, by definition, haven't plateaued yet and are adding weight each workout.

Are you at a plateau, or are you still able to add weight each workout? If the former, then give smolov a try, but don't mess it up by adding deadlifts to the already insane workload. If you're a novice, smolov is just a painful waste of time.

mpc
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

What I meant is Id do Smolov, and at the same time do Bench Press, Rows, Military Press (and maybe, but I doubt) Deadlifts SS style
Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Michael Cooley

Profile:

You can, but assistance work has to be kept to a minimum during a smolov cycle. If you've got much energy left for other stuff, you're not doing the squatting right. Also, SS dictates that you'd be looking to add weight to the bench and rows each workout (as a novice should do). In a smolov cycle, all that has to take a back seat to the squats.

Just my $.02.

mpc
Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cooley View Post
You can, but assistance work has to be kept to a minimum during a smolov cycle. If you've got much energy left for other stuff, you're not doing the squatting right. Also, SS dictates that you'd be looking to add weight to the bench and rows each workout (as a novice should do). In a smolov cycle, all that has to take a back seat to the squats.

Just my $.02.

mpc
Sounds pretty good, thanks a lot for your input.

Also, I just wanted to know what are the physical risks from a program like this (such high squat rate must be bad for the knees if you dont do it right?)

I got quite bad knees, and when its humid they hurt quite a lot, so is there any risk of making it worse by doing Smolov?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

One question: why?

If you have a very advanced-elite level of strength sure go for it. Smolov is periodized to the extent that it will help you at that level (plus its an INSANE amount of volume which is extremely hard to recover from unless you're uber-conditioned).

There's no point in combining it with SS which focuses on a linear progression.

Mixing and matching programs is a horrible idea. They're built a way for a reason. Messing with them will only make them worse (or un-optimal if you prefer).
Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Good post Steven... Man what would I do without you? Hahah. On behalf of a lot of people here I thank you for all the always good information you give us

Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Castonguay View Post
Sounds pretty good, thanks a lot for your input.

Also, I just wanted to know what are the physical risks from a program like this (such high squat rate must be bad for the knees if you dont do it right?)

I got quite bad knees, and when its humid they hurt quite a lot, so is there any risk of making it worse by doing Smolov?
back squats, done correctly, are one of the best exercises you can do to rehab your knees. done incorectly they are one of the worst things you can do to your knees.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
back squats, done correctly, are one of the best exercises you can do to rehab your knees. done incorectly they are one of the worst things you can do to your knees.
Yea I've read that too somewhere else, that's why I'll take a mini-class to make sure my form becomes perfect