CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
Mark Martinez

Profile:
Re: The BBQ Thread

Can someone tell me where I can purchase those elastic ties or netting supermarkets use on their rotisserie chickens and roasts? It seems so much more convenient than using regular string.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Matt Hitt

Profile:

First off, love this thread. BBQ is the cheap, fun way to eat a *mostly* paleo diet, IMHO. Love my smoker, but was wondering if anyone could help me with a BBQ equipment question.

Anyone out there got a recommendation for a good thermometer to monitor your rig's temp? The one mounted on mine is useless, and I hate having to sit outside with a probe stuck into a small gap by the lid.

I want something where the thermometer is always inside the smoker, and has a readout of some kind that can be mounted on the outside, so I can just pop out quickly and read the temp, rather than sitting for 10 minutes trying get an accurate reading on a probe I'm holding.

Thanks in advance, and happy smoking everybody!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hitt View Post
First off, love this thread. BBQ is the cheap, fun way to eat a *mostly* paleo diet, IMHO. Love my smoker, but was wondering if anyone could help me with a BBQ equipment question.

Anyone out there got a recommendation for a good thermometer to monitor your rig's temp? The one mounted on mine is useless, and I hate having to sit outside with a probe stuck into a small gap by the lid.

I want something where the thermometer is always inside the smoker, and has a readout of some kind that can be mounted on the outside, so I can just pop out quickly and read the temp, rather than sitting for 10 minutes trying get an accurate reading on a probe I'm holding.

Thanks in advance, and happy smoking everybody!
Matt;
Few different opitions. You can monitor internal temps with a gauge mount unit that is fitted thur a hole you drill in the cover, works fine, I have one on my Char Broil.
Another option is to buy one of the Maverick Units, AT7 and AT73 that can monitor a meat and internal temp and it's wireless.
Visit some of the BBQ sites or try Google. Thermogen makes a great instant read unit for checking meat temps. Agree, you need a good gauge to check for inside temps and a good thermometer to check meat temps. If you strike out, PM me.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #24
Jay Cohen

Profile:
My 1st Butt

Put rubbed 8lb pork butt from Sam's into Amerique last night, set temp for 225, cook time 14 hours. Checked temp, it was at 185, needed to get to 200, another hour or so, took out butt, doubled wrapped in foil, but in cooler for a few hours. Just polished off 1.5 pounds with some smooth non tomato based serving sauce, going to bed very full.

Now the serious training starts for Meat Fest 2009.

Chow On
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Butt4.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	3816  
Old 04-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Looks great Jay! Looking forward to meatfest.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #26
Jack Stetson

Profile:

That does look good.

I got two pork butts in the slow cooker right now. Made a pot of sauce too (no sugar!). Tomorrow: pulled pork for breakfast. Lord have mercy.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #27
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

hey jay - how do you figure out cooking time vs temperature? obviously they're inversely related but do you just experiment and see what happens or do you have a system?

love this thread - i've got my normal gas bbq which i live on through summer (and, in fact, most of the year given that western australia doesn't get much snow, or even rain)

have a weber but it's missing a few parts at the moment which i plan to remedy really soon
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #28
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gallagher View Post
hey jay - how do you figure out cooking time vs temperature? obviously they're inversely related but do you just experiment and see what happens or do you have a system?

love this thread - i've got my normal gas bbq which i live on through summer (and, in fact, most of the year given that western australia doesn't get much snow, or even rain)

have a weber but it's missing a few parts at the moment which i plan to remedy really soon
Gus

Depending on the meat and the cut, you can find on line some "guide lines", such as for a pork butt, anywhere from 1 1/4 to 2 hours per pound, so an 8 lb butt might take anywhere from 10-16 hours, each butt smokes a tad differently, hence the motto, "It's done, when It's done"

Jay
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #29
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stetson View Post
That does look good.

I got two pork butts in the slow cooker right now. Made a pot of sauce too (no sugar!). Tomorrow: pulled pork for breakfast. Lord have mercy.
and that is where "Real People Eat Real Food" comes from. No cereal, portiage(sp), yogurt, shake, what ever, just good old meat, eggs, some veggies, day in, day out. Nice Jack.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #30
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

haha fair enough, thanks jay! trial and error approach is always more interesting anyway