CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

would you say doing 3 mins of jump rope intervals is very simliar intensity wise to doing 3 mins of 4 count jumping jacks. basically both movements your just jumping either vertically or horizontally and jumping jacks has greater arm movement overhead?
Old 01-05-2004, 07:39 AM   #2
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I think they're the same. I prefer jumping rope myself.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Ditto . . .
Old 01-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Much of the exercise's great contribution (Jump Rope) is coordination, something which will not get trained as sufficiently with jumping jacks.

There's a reason boxers use it furiously!
:wink:
Old 01-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

as far as cardio conditioning its pretty much the same training effect right? for someone not interetsed in boxing coordination etc, jumping up and down or side to side and moving hands over head is aerobic also
Old 01-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
I know that some Chi Kung practitioners say that Jumping Jacks as usually practiced are bad for your energy. You should have your feet closed when your arms are at the top of your head. Windmill your arms forward when you bring them down.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
John McCracken

Profile:
In my humble opinion, jumping jacks are to jumping jope as running-in-place is to sprinting. While they both increase heart rate, jumping jacks are more one dimensional in effect.

As you are already aware, in the October 2002 Issue of the CrossFit Journal, Coach Glassman defines the elements of fitness. "If your goal is optimum physical competence then all the general physical skills must be considered:

1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance - The ability of body systems to gather, process and deliver oxygen.
2. Stamina - The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
3. Strength - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
4. Flexibility - The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
5. Power - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. Speed - The ability to minimize the time cycle of repeated movements.
7. Coordination - The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
8. Agility - The ability to minimize transition time form one movement pattern to another.
9. Balance - The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
10. Accuracy - The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity."

Jumping rope develops most of these aspects of fitness. It's inclusion into a CrossFit WOD warm-up or cool-down is a very efficient use of time. The rewards are worth the effort and the cost of the equipment is nominal. Buddy Lee has a good book (Jump Rope Training) with lots of great ideas - both learning various jump rope skills and various ways of incorporating it to develop speed, quickness, balance, agility, coordination and power.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I would say no, they are not the same as others have said. From personal experience, I can do vigorous jumping jacks until the cows come home. I can jump rope for only 2-3 minutes before my calves give out and my coordination goes. There is so much more to jumping rope than building boxing coordination.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
John McCracken

Profile:
Scott, I agree.

It is precisely because it simultaneously involves multiple elements of general fitness skills that it is more taxing. When done with "CrossFit" intensity, keeping efforts within the glycolytic metabolic pathway, the results are tremendous.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I recently upgraded my old school leather rope for one of those BOA ropes. Switching ropes really screwed up my technique, and I went from easily jumping rope to having to learn a different technique for the new rope. I am probably going to pick up the Lee book, and maybe one of his ropes, since rope work is often an intergral part of my training