CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Michael Prather

Profile:
Recent Hernia Surgery, Which Leg Exercises?

Had laproscopic hernia surgery a few weeks back and I'll be back on the weights in the coming weeks. I want to be cautious and based on what I have read, I need to stay away from squat, deadlift and weightlifting movements longer than anything else. Not only are these my favorite lifts, they are of course the best all around lower body lifts.

My question is, what leg lifts should I use while I can't do squat and deadlift?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Richard Deyan

Profile:
Re: Recent Hernia Surgery, Which Leg Exercises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Prather View Post
Had laproscopic hernia surgery a few weeks back and I'll be back on the weights in the coming weeks. I want to be cautious and based on what I have read, I need to stay away from squat, deadlift and weightlifting movements longer than anything else. Not only are these my favorite lifts, they are of course the best all around lower body lifts.

My question is, what leg lifts should I use while I can't do squat and deadlift?
Who is telling you to stay away from squats and deadlifts? Are they the same doctors and surgeons who say you shouldn't squat and deadlift at all in the first place?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Kevin Keast

Profile:

I am having hernia surgery next week. I'm planning on using squats and deads as part of my recovery. I think as long as you don't exceed recommended loads, they are great to get blood flowing through the area and retain contraction patterns. That means super light loads until you get the green light from surgeon to go fully back into the game.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not a doctor.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

First, I am far from an expert in these matters. However, at 45 years of age I underwent laparascopic hernia surgery for an inguinal hernia / mesh fixation in January of 2013 and I can relate to you what I did.

The surgeon that performed the operation on me is an acquaintance so he was aware that I squatted, deadlifted, etc. He said two things to me which have proven true. First, he said that most physicians recovery recommendations are geared toward the average person - which is not the average crossfitter. He indicated that this is also true for recovery from not only surgery but other injuries as well - but I digress. He also indicated that he knew that I would want to push the recovery. He specifically indicated to me that I must balance the desire to push limits and the potential of worsening the hernia and requiring a surgical repair. The short form is that he told me that I should take at least 3-7 days off from the gym. After that point he told me to get back in the gym and stay away from weights until the surgical staples / glue - fell off. In other words he told me don't be a ******* and rip open the portals or the hernia site. He then told me that about two weeks plus out, that it was ok to start using weights again - but to limit the weight and intensity and then gradually build back into what I did before. In truth, it took me about six months to get back to what I was doing before - and that was self limiting what I did.

The other thing that I did not expect was how much the surgical portals had an effect on my perception of my core strength. I felt like it really messed with my back stability when planking, squatting and deadlifting and it took me a while to feel that "groove" that you get in when you do those exercises where you feel very locked into the movement.

So, my non- medical not expert advice is you can get back into the gym but no weight and take it easy initially. Then I would say don't do anything with weight until the staples and surgical glue dissolves and the scars heal. Why take the chance. Then it is pretty much up to you where you go from there - but I will tell you that I very gradually increased my poundage.

As a sort of baseline I am a 46 year old and I can squat and deadlift well over twice my weight at a little over 6 feet tall and 165lbs. I'm very lean - which is how I noticed the hernia in the first place. So tons of people here can crush me in terms of their weights, lifts, etc. -- but I'd doing pretty well for me and knock on wood I feel pretty recovered from everything.

Good luck with the surgery.