CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Michael Prather

Profile:
Hernia Recovery

Been CrossFitting for about 6 months, diagnosed with a hernia today. Just wanted to hear from anyone who might have sustained the same injury and resumed lifting post surgery. What I should expect, is it possible to recover, etc. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Firat Keler

Profile:
Re: Hernia Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Prather View Post
Been CrossFitting for about 6 months, diagnosed with a hernia today. Just wanted to hear from anyone who might have sustained the same injury and resumed lifting post surgery. What I should expect, is it possible to recover, etc. Thanks.
What kind of hernia ?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Michael Prather

Profile:

Inguinal I think. No bulge, slightly painful. Family doc sending me to meet with the surgeon.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

No bulge? This is my experience. I was getting out of the shower and looked in the mirror and saw a bulge the size of a finger joint in my left groin right above the crease in the leg and groin. I knew what it was immediately and went to a surgeon in my area who does a ton of these things and who knew me. I experienced no pain and can not recall a time when I might have caused it. He indicated to me that many people have hernias - I do not recall the percentage but it is very high. They don't know that they have them because of their bodyfat - which prevents them from seeing the hernia. Many of these are congenital i.e. not caused by an injury to the abdominal wall.

What the doctor told me was this. I didn't have to do anything - but the fact that I squatted and deadlifted might make it worse over time. He thought that the chances of me making it worse were high. I had two choices - an open operation or laparascopic surgery where they insert a piece of mesh over the hole in the abdominal wall. The open surgery takes you out of comission for a while - the cut has to heal and the slice in the abdominal wall takes a while to do this. You have to pretty much completely chill on the crossift. The laparascopic surgery involves cutting three holes in you. You get out of the hospital in a day and then you typically can't do much for about three days. I was back in the gym after three days - but I did not initially hit the weights in the same way until about five months after the surgery. YMMV. I was careful and cautious about it simply because the punctures are right where your core strength come from and thus, they effect the vast majority of lifts that we commonly do. I built back into it slowly and only started going hammer and tongs after about five months. If I had gone for the open route - it takes far longer.

I also have to say that I was very careful about it because I am 46, I am over 6' tall and weigh about 163lbs +/- 2lbs and squat and deadlift over 300+ lbs. Many people stronger than I am on this board - but the age factor kicks in and changes your recovery ability.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Michael Prather

Profile:

The surgeon doesn't think I have a hernia after all, though he says its still a coin flip. IF there is a hernia, my muscles are in spasm and closing the hole. Over time my muscles may relax and reveal the bulge, he says.

SO I'm just sitting tight and not working out. Any time I do move something around I can feel something. What else could it be?