CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Heavy bag training-worth it?

I'm considering getting a hanging punching bag for my garage, and I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the money. Does anybody out there use a heavy bag for training in addition to CF? I'm trying to figure out if it will add anything to my training/fitness...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: Heavy bag training-worth it?

I've been hitting heavy bags for years, I'm no fitness stud but I can hit hard. If nothing else it will greatly improve your punching power. I haven't been in a fight in a long time but you never know, the ability to drop a guy with one liver shot can be invaluable.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Have you had any fight training? Hitting a bag can hurt your wrist if you do not do it correctly.
Working a heavy bag hard is great if you are training with it correctly. If not you are just re-enforcing bad habits.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

You have a much greater chance of hurting your wrist doing cleans as a novice with crossfit than hitting a heavy bag. I boxed from 9 into my late teens and hitting a heavy bag isn't rocket science, even untrained it will improve striking power. If you have access to a trainer great, if not google is your friend, there's not much to it, have at it, we're men, hitting things is in our DNA, sometimes people over complicate simple things.

I gotta respectfully disagree with the poster above You don't need to be fight trained to hit a heavy bag.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Luke Hitt

Profile:

Ya I have a background with some training in it. I'm not inquiring as to whether or not it will increase my punching power/ability, just whether or not the aerobic/anaerobic aspect of heavy bag training offers anything different or better than good ole crossfit...

Basically, is it worth the money to buy one and use it in addition to doing CF wod's, or if you're hitting CF hard enough then maybe it isn't really necessary??
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What are your goals? To get better at punching, there aren't many alternatives to hitting things. For general fitness, there are lots of choices.

Katherine
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Erich Anderson

Profile:

i vote yes. Heavybags are awesome. medium bags are just as fun and a little easier on the body.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hitt View Post
I'm not inquiring as to whether or not it will increase my punching power/ability
if you want to hit a heavybag but don't care about increasing punching power or accuracy and only cardio benefits i would say there are tons of other choices out there that are safer and probably more effective for pure cardio, plus you don't risk breaking a hand.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Tarun Nagpal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What are your goals? To get better at punching, there aren't many alternatives to hitting things. For general fitness, there are lots of choices.

Katherine
True, but I'd almost say that being able to punch (and fight) is probably just as functional if not more so than the theoretical being caught on a cliff and having to do a muscle up for survival.

Throwing a series of punches (and maybe kicks) is a good use of a lot of muscles, explosiveness, precision, etc. It hits a lot of the 10 domains pretty well.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Cheap pair of gloves and you're set for a great workout dude. People say don't train with a heavy bag unless you're a fighter. That, to me, is like saying "I'm not training to race, so why should I run?" The reasons to do heavy bag work are many: increased aerobic and anaerobic capacity, improved coordination and explosive power. I recommend bag work to anyone who wants to give it a try. The number of ways to train with it are numerous, from Tabata-style interval training, to ladders and timed rounds. Integrate it as part of a timed Tabata circuit, or just go out and hit it around for half an hour, whatever is fun and meets what you want. To the people who talk about injuries on the heavy bag; you are far more likely to injure yourself running than hitting a bag. Combat sports have a surprisingly low injury rate (outside of sparring, that is).