CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Fred Hoang-Davis

Profile:
What do I need to recover better?

Started Crossfit last week. I had intended to do 3 days a week on scaled workouts along with an intense indoor soccer game once a week.

Wednesday I did a scaled version of Angie that included knee pushups rather than toe, lat pulldowns as I cannot do pullups, situps, air squats.

Then Wednesday evening I played soccer.

I stretched well afte rboth workouts and ate decent meals (fairly balanced between F/P/C)

This morning, my legs specifically are still so sore I could not work out.

What is the best way for me to eat PWO to help my muscles recover better?

I am 6'2", 252#, and 34% BF.

I am in decent shape cardio wise, but started Crossfit to get better overall fitness, lose a lot of excess fat, and hopefully get stronger and faster (is that asking too much )

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am lacto-vegetarian, so I do not eat meat, fish, chicken, etc.

Fred
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: What do I need to recover better?

Fred, recovery is a combination of nutrition + sleep + volume of workout + many other things.

Ok, you're a lacto-vegeterian. What is your calorie intake for a day? Protein/Carb/Fat splits? How much sleep do you get?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Fred Hoang-Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Fred, recovery is a combination of nutrition + sleep + volume of workout + many other things.

Ok, you're a lacto-vegeterian. What is your calorie intake for a day? Protein/Carb/Fat splits? How much sleep do you get?
I'm trying to get 7 hours sleep at the minimum.

My calorie intake is about 3,000 kcal.

As far as breakdown. I have been trying to get about 40C/40P/20F

The way I am reading many of the threads, it appears I should be trying to eat more fat (good fats of course)

I think my problem is that I am averse to eating fat as I used to be really obese (I weighed ~450# about 10 years ago, but lost over 200), and I am afraid if I eat too much fat I will balloon up again.

Should I just ignore my (most likely wrong) assumptions?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You might need to scale workouts down further, especially at first. Visit BrandX (linked from the main page and the Starting forum) for scaling suggestions. Many CF workouts are deceptively hard, and will really bludgeon you until you get used to them.

Drink lots of water.

Personally, I would not want to double up with a workout and a game the same day, and ideally I'd want a rest day before the game.

Katherine
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Fred Hoang-Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You might need to scale workouts down further, especially at first. Visit BrandX (linked from the main page and the Starting forum) for scaling suggestions. Many CF workouts are deceptively hard, and will really bludgeon you until you get used to them.

Drink lots of water.

Personally, I would not want to double up with a workout and a game the same day, and ideally I'd want a rest day before the game.

Katherine
Katherine,

Thanks. Water is not a problem for me. I drink at least a gallon per day.

I am also concerned that I might be trying to work out too much (impatience or ignorance, maybe a combo), because I'm afraid I would not be working out enough to make a difference.

I am definitely not going to work out on game days for the remainder of the season.

I think I just need to keep in mind not to overtrain.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hoang-Davis View Post
I'm trying to get 7 hours sleep at the minimum.

My calorie intake is about 3,000 kcal.

As far as breakdown. I have been trying to get about 40C/40P/20F

The way I am reading many of the threads, it appears I should be trying to eat more fat (good fats of course)

I think my problem is that I am averse to eating fat as I used to be really obese (I weighed ~450# about 10 years ago, but lost over 200), and I am afraid if I eat too much fat I will balloon up again.

Should I just ignore my (most likely wrong) assumptions?
At 250 and eating 3000 kcal, you are undereating. That's okay, it's how you lose more weight, but whenever you under eat your recovery will suffer. You have to decide whether you want to perform/recover better (more calories) or whether you want to lose more weight.

And yeah, your hitting it kind of hard for your first week, playing games on the same day as a WOD. 3 days a week scaled is good, just arrange the WODs to run on days you don't play soccer.

Last edited by Neil Bauersfeld; 04-23-2010 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: failed at reading good.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Fred Hoang-Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bauersfeld View Post
At 250 and eating 3000 kcal, you are undereating. That's okay, it's how you lose more weight, but whenever you under eat your recovery will suffer. You have to decide whether you want to perform/recover better (more calories) or whether you want to lose more weight.

And yeah, your hitting it kind of hard for your first week. There is no shame in slowly increasing Crossfit volume over time.
Neil,

I think that will be the hard part, walking the thin line of eating enough to recover and not too much so that I do not lose fat.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

When you start any new exercise regimen DOMS (WFS) are par for the course
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"I am in decent shape cardio wise"

Sorry, but no, you're kinda not. You need to scale more and not overtrain, which of course means rest more. Do less then you think. You can always do more tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

The OP doesn't need to scale. He started a very scaled CF last week. CF is new for him. He has DOM's. Stretch on off day and try contrast showers etc. After a few more workouts these initial aches will disappear.