CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
Mike Miner
Member Mike Miner is offline
 
Mike Miner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterville  Maine
Posts: 36
Talking How's My Diet Look

Quick background. Im currently 240, I would like to drop about 20 lbs, but also maintain my current lifting power.

After morning cardio workout
Breakfast- 6am Whey Protein shake 250 cals 50 Gm Protein 26 carbs ( Six star muscle ) , 2-3 Coffee's cause I need em..LOL

Snack 1- around 830 am 1/2 cup mixed nuts 200 cals ( More coffee )

Lunch- 11 am Whey Protein Shake again same as before
Then I do the WOD 1130am

Snack 2- 1230 pm Post workout- Apple and a Juice or a Gatorade

Dinner-6pm 8oz of chicken or steak, mixed veggies, and sometimes brown rice, or a couple eggs instead of the rice.

Desert- Trail Mix 1/4 cup 200-300 cals

How does this look and where should I Improve. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
John C Corona
Member John C Corona is offline
 
John C Corona's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Palm Bay  FL
Posts: 730
Re: How's My Diet Look

Mikey likes the whey. I dont know man, I think two powder shakes per day is not leaving room for 'real' food. The labels on the powder fool us into thinking it's actuall nutrients. I also think all that coffee gives you 'fake' energy (if its caffeinated) that you should be getting from 'real' food. One piece of fruit and one serving of veggie is not enough IMO.

I'd save the whey for every once in a while (replace with dinner type meal), and remove the coffee. But the powder and coffee head opinions around here might differ.
__________________
37/M/5'10"/170.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: How's My Diet Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miner View Post
Quick background. Im currently 240, I would like to drop about 20 lbs, but also maintain my current lifting power.

After morning cardio workout
Breakfast- 6am Whey Protein shake 250 cals 50 Gm Protein 26 carbs ( Six star muscle ) , 2-3 Coffee's cause I need em..LOL

Snack 1- around 830 am 1/2 cup mixed nuts 200 cals ( More coffee )

Lunch- 11 am Whey Protein Shake again same as before
Then I do the WOD 1130am

Snack 2- 1230 pm Post workout- Apple and a Juice or a Gatorade

Dinner-6pm 8oz of chicken or steak, mixed veggies, and sometimes brown rice, or a couple eggs instead of the rice.

Desert- Trail Mix 1/4 cup 200-300 cals

How does this look and where should I Improve. Thanks.

Eat food instead of shakes
Eat fruit - ditch the juice and gatorade
I drink about 48 oz of coffee per day - black

Oh yeah..and more veggies.
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com

Last edited by Jason David; 04-16-2009 at 06:16 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Mat Frankel
Affiliate Mat Frankel is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newton  MA
Posts: 329
Re: How's My Diet Look

I agree with John, get your nutrients from real food. If you don't have time for ar eal breakfast then ok i understand that but lunch should be food. After the WOD you should also be taking in protein. Gatorade isn't a great choice unless your really endurance training. And apple is ok but there are better sources for carbs such as sweet potatos. An apple is fructose and your body has to convert it to glucose to use where as the sweet potato is readily available to get into your muscles. Sweet potato with some protein and no fat is the way to go.
__________________
Rebuilding an Athlete - My Workout and Food Log http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=44786
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Harley Jennings
Member Harley Jennings is offline
 
Harley Jennings's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Hood  TX
Posts: 749
Re: How's My Diet Look

Here is A way, not the only way.

Cut out the shakes, Eggs and bacon brother, no room for shakes.

No juice, no Gatorade, limit the fruit, and if you want to eat fruit make sure it is in your PWO window.

Move the large part of your carbs to your PWO

Cut out the brown rice, more dark green veggies

Why are we eating dessert if we want to lose weight? If you are hungry, eat real food, meat, veggies, nuts, some fruit, get your good fats in man.

Don't starve yourself, find something you are comfortable with and run with it.

What are you putting in your coffee?

Remember the three D's : Dedication, Determination, Discipline
__________________
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Mike Miner
Member Mike Miner is offline
 
Mike Miner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterville  Maine
Posts: 36
Re: How's My Diet Look

I use to do alot of Bodybuilding type lifting, and powerlifting thats why I have lots O protein.
And I like the Shakes because tehy are Easy. But i will try to follow those suggestions.
What if i subsitute Eggs for teh morning Shake.
What would be a Good Lunchtime meal or a snack.
i also forgot to mention that soemtimes I have a Protein bar instead of an apple for a snack.
Man i really thought I was doing alright too.
Thanks o much for the help guys I need it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Mike Miner
Member Mike Miner is offline
 
Mike Miner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterville  Maine
Posts: 36
Re: How's My Diet Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Here is A way, not the only way.

Cut out the shakes, Eggs and bacon brother, no room for shakes.

No juice, no Gatorade, limit the fruit, and if you want to eat fruit make sure it is in your PWO window.

Move the large part of your carbs to your PWO

Cut out the brown rice, more dark green veggies

Why are we eating dessert if we want to lose weight? If you are hungry, eat real food, meat, veggies, nuts, some fruit, get your good fats in man.

Don't starve yourself, find something you are comfortable with and run with it.

What are you putting in your coffee?

Remember the three D's : Dedication, Determination, Discipline
I put a little Half and Half (Low carb)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Mike Miner
Member Mike Miner is offline
 
Mike Miner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterville  Maine
Posts: 36
Re: How's My Diet Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Mikey likes the whey. I dont know man, I think two powder shakes per day is not leaving room for 'real' food. The labels on the powder fool us into thinking it's actuall nutrients. I also think all that coffee gives you 'fake' energy (if its caffeinated) that you should be getting from 'real' food. One piece of fruit and one serving of veggie is not enough IMO.

I'd save the whey for every once in a while (replace with dinner type meal), and remove the coffee. But the powder and coffee head opinions around here might differ.
MMMMMMM protein
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Billy Bobbitt
Member Billy Bobbitt is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pilesgrove  NJ
Posts: 86
Re: How's My Diet Look

I agree with everyone above but would like to ad that you should have a more balanced snacks and meals. I.E. proportionate protein, carbs and fats.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong cause I am still learning about this diet stuff.

Your snack of an apple and juice or gatorade is all carbs. Put some fat and protien in the snack like a couple of slices of turkey lunch meat. This way you dont spike your insulin level to high which causes you body to store fat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Mike Miner
Member Mike Miner is offline
 
Mike Miner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterville  Maine
Posts: 36
Re: How's My Diet Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bobbitt View Post
I agree with everyone above but would like to ad that you should have a more balanced snacks and meals. I.E. proportionate protein, carbs and fats.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong cause I am still learning about this diet stuff.

Your snack of an apple and juice or gatorade is all carbs. Put some fat and protien in the snack like a couple of slices of turkey lunch meat. This way you dont spike your insulin level to high which causes you body to store fat.
Good Point i forgot about the Insulin spike thingy
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's this for a start? Jorge Garza Starting 12 09-09-2008 07:16 AM
How's my squat??? Gavin Steel Digital Coaching 11 07-17-2008 01:00 PM
How's this set? Tim Luby Equipment 1 02-26-2008 07:07 PM
How's my Squats Jacob Vohs Exercises 9 01-23-2008 03:28 AM
7 months in...how's my diet? David Stegman Nutrition 2 07-14-2006 05:33 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.