CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Thomas Whitehead

Profile:
I know there has probably been a thread on this already, but, I was hoping I might be able to get some new discussion on this topic, and maybe someone could send me a link to the old discussion.

I have a very hard time with HSPUs. Presently, as part of my warm-up, I'm working on doing headstands against a wall. I'm starting to get the balance down for this. Today, I tried to work it up to an actual handstand against a wall. My problem isn't so much with my strength (although, that could use some help) but more with my balance and probably technique. Can anyone give me any pieces of advice on how to work on my handstands/HSPUs?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Keep working the balance, if you are comfortable with headstands against the wall, try taking them to the middle of the room. Also practice kicking up into the handstand against the wall and holding for up to a minute at a time.

Read Tyler's great article

http://www.girevikmagazine.com/eight/tips8.htm

follow up the links in that, go to gymnastic sites in the Friends of Crossfit links and read more. And practice, practice, practice!
Old 03-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The best, and only way to get good solid handstands is to do a ton of handstands. When you learn to walk, you spend a lot of time just trying to walk. So get upside down on a regular basis and just get on your hands. If you can do 10-15 minutes a day. This will be more benificial than 70 minues once a week. A lot of neural adaptaion happens while we sleep so getting in a daily thing will get you there quicker.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I can attest to the fact that your best asset in getting HSPU's is handstands, and LOTS OF THEM. Seriously. Today, I got my first near-full-range (paralette) HSPU's, without a wall to assist me. All I've done to practice is lots of handstands and pirouettes.